From:
Connie McPhail <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Ferret Mailing List (FML)
Date:
Mon, 14 Feb 1994 13:58:25 -0500
Hello everyone:

I just wanted to respond to the stories regarding the ferrets retrieved
from pet stores.  I am in a similar situation.  We have accepted a new
edition to our family - a very beautiful sable neutered male (Arthur).  Our
friend in Vancouver retrieved him from a lady who bought him from
some one who bought him from some one etc.. The first six months of his
life was spent in a pet store.  He has a major biting problem.  He has
bitten my boyfriend and my other friend so hard that their fingers have
been numb and swollen and bleeding.  He hasn't bitten me yet!  Now, that
we have him at home we let him have the run of our ferret/computer room.
Normally, he is very sweet for I handle him when He Comes To Me only.
If you try to pick him up or try to stroke him when he is not ready he
hunches down and is very afraid.  For most of the time he hides under a
cabinet and I can't coach him out.  Our female albino Shmelly has fallen
in love with him.  They are fast friends.  Our 6 mo. old male is a little
aggressive (he keeps trying to mount him!!) but is always clucking.  I
think he is just trying to play chase. We are getting Jacques fixed soon
so I think that behavior will stop.

What I am worried about is his vet visit this week.  I don't know how
the vet and I are going to hold him down for shots.  The only vet record
I have is for his neutering/descenting.  I have called them and they have
no records of his shots - I can only assume they are out of date.

We feel that we can give Arthur a good home.  Unfortuantly, I don't think
he'll be as cuddly and affectionate as our other two (which is probably
why he has been bounced around).  It angers me that he was abused/neglected.
For all those who are selling kits out there- Please Please follow up on
your sales!

Connie and Tom ---- Jacques (Cousteau), Arthur (King of the Britons), Shmelly

PS:  Happy Valentines Day

Connie McPhail