Date:
Tue, 8 Feb 2000 10:36:51 -0800
I will not get involved in the ADV discussions because I know NOTHING about
the disease and NEVER post on things that I know nothing about or pretend
to know about - that is very dangerous.

What I do know is that I am now VERY concerned about the ferrets I obtained
from Judy Moon and now, I guess I will have them tested for ADV.  I got my
ferrets BEFORE Judy obtained any of the questionable stock, but I am scared
that any ferrets could be exposed unknowingly to this disease and I do not
know that the parents of my ferrets are of "safe" non-ADV origin.  Making
an appointment ASAP!  This is not the first health warning I have seen that
involves Moonsong Ferretry.  About three months after adopting my kits, I
got an email from Judy stating that one of her ferrets has giardia and
that we should all get our ferrets tested.  Yes, I know giardia is not
life-threatening in its earliest form, but I ran out and did this (negative
results).  The point that I am making here is that you need to investigate
a breeder's reputation and past health records PRIOR to adoption.  I
understand that Judy would never knowingly adopt out an ill kit so this is
not a post to "bash" her over that - it would not be fair.  Any breeder
though, who knowingly does not come forward with information is not a
breeder that I would say "loves ferrets".

I cannot email Judy privately because she and I had a dispute over some
local ferret association business and as a result she blocked me from her
email.  Another bad idea since she should be available to all prior
adopters to track the health of her offspring - which she tells you she
does when you adopt.  I will not spend long distance dollars to contact
her when email is available.  This is confusing to me.

I know that Nicky had some problems with hind-end weakness and Judy was
taking him from vet to vet, awhile back trying to determine what was wrong.
He recovered but as I recall, she posted that he was still limping.  I
wonder if this was related to the ADV stuff?  Is this a symptom?  I *think*
the vet finally diagnosed it as an infection or something in his spine?
Not sure and I don't want to mislead anyone.

I wish the best for both Judy and Trish and hope that no other ferrets test
positive for ADV.

I do think this post is fair and that it is not "slanderous" or a flame.  I
just wanted to share my experience on this issue and the fact that I am now
a little worried about my own ferrets, who I absolutely adore.  Whatever
transpired on the other board, I do not know about.

Take care.