From:
Steve Austin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 22 Apr 2001 16:51:38 -0400
I am just catching up on reading the FML.  I saw some of these posts and
wanted to make a comment.  I didn't credit the posts because the points I
want to make are that it is unnecessary to answer a post with a snide
remark, or attack.  There are better ways to get the points across, I am
not singling out anyone in particular, just making a point using these.

>>And children love candy.
partial response to one statement:
>So, if it tastes good its bad for you!  Hmm.  Well, I forgot.  Your are
>great "Buddha".  And I am sorry for suggesting a food that my ferrets
>like and keeps them healthy."

First person commented on a previous posters statement.  It was meant to
imply that the taste of food has nothing to do with it being good or bad
for you.  So, the next comment is way off.  Please read the previous
posts and understand what is being said.  Try to keep personal feelings
about a poster out of it.

There are many topics that spark controversy on the FML- certainly diet
is one of them.  No one knows the right answers, but Totally Ferret was
designed for ferrets- tons of research went into the formulation.  This
can't be said for any cat foods, and not all ferret foods.  Some of the
cheaper ferret foods have grain as their first ingredient and look like
they were made by companies who lump ferrets in with other small animals-
like rabbits, and hamsters.  Still TF is produced by a company, and they
need to make money to continue.

>By responding the way you did, you may have turned off that person's
>desire to learn.  Next time, don't think that because the answers to the
>questions are obvious you, that they are obvious to everyone in the world.
>That just isn't so.

There were more harsh reposes to the original post- this one was just one
of the nicer ones.  The original poster was brave, and often is, by posting
his opinions, or asking the FMLers for advice.  So, he posed a question
that some people considered "stupid" by going off on his response and
ignoring the fact that he posted it to get the FML opinion on how to better
handle the situation- so why do those that scolded him for his harsh
response, then respond harshly??

>I ask you since you have accused people of playing god, do your health
>problems give you the right to be judge and jury?  It certainly seems in
>other posts that you use them that way.  If you want go into health
>problems I would be glad to compare... I stopped counting after my 16th
>surgery.  I give you full credit for being high on life, I congratulate
>you!"

Euthanasia is a very person subject to everyone, it is controversial-
that is why it is the subject of much debate.  People tend to project
their feelings on their animals-- therefore, if someone feels euthanasia is
wrong, because they themselves would want to live no matter what, or they
witnessed a loved one die, then they would "assume": their animal would
feel the same way.  The opposite is also true.  Everyone has very personal
reasons for feeling strongly either way.  IF someone posts their opinion,
post it as such, and those that are reading it don't have to feel that it
necessarily would apply to their situation.  Maybe we are playing God (if
he exists), or maybe we are being "humane".  Lets leave this up for the
individual to decide, and post our feelings about the topic, but no need
for the heated responses.

If we stop and think for a minute, we can respond to posts in a way that
addresses the original post, but doesn't have to attack the poster on a
personal level, we can challenge their ideas, or point out inaccuracies
without calling names, or belittling the poster.

Patty