From:
sheena staples <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 Jan 1996 21:31:50 -0800
>From:    "marie i. schatz" <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Canadian Ferrets
>Hi all - a couple of days someone posted about canadian ferrets - they
>thought the large MF type farm there might be associated with Hagen (so who
>is Hagen?).

Hagen is a company that makes a large variety of pet care products and also
breeds a number of small animals.  Hagen ferrets are not bred by Hagen per
say, they contract out to sort of largish scale breeders who do this for
them.  There is no MF type of operation run by Hagen.  Hagen is located in
Ontario and Montreal.

There is also a large ferret farm in Manitoba, which I cannot supply the
name for ... I think it may be CDC Pets or something.  I understand they
also breed chinchillas.  Manitoba ferrets used to have and X in the ear if
they were males, a Y if they were females, but no longer.

There used to be a large scale breeder in Alberta who sold ferrets to pet
stores, but he was apparently shut down for abuses of the animals and for
some serious inbreeding.

>I was wondering if any Canadians out there could amplify on the situation
>in Canada.  I have been told Giesela is Canadian because she has a large
>"x" tatoo'ed on her right ear (a very amateur looking tatoo).  Is this a
>national law?

No it is not a national law, and she probably is Hagen if there is an X in
her ear.  Mind you, as with MF who do not copyright the two dots, neither is
the X copyrighted, so it doesn't neccessarily mean she is Canadian.  The
only way to tell that is if you had her papers.

>What is the name of the farm?  (Seems like I've heard of a big farm named
>"Path" but I'm not sure).  Do they ship to the states frequently?

Path Valley is an American ferret farm.  The Canadian big breeders do ship
to the States quite regularly.

Sheena
Wherret Ferrets Halfway House and Ferretry
Ferret Association of Greater Vancouver