From:
Julie Fossa <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 27 Mar 2001 23:45:01 -0800
Aleutian Disease Virus Research is very dear to my heart.  I have 2
personal kids that test positive, have accepted one 'known' shelter
positive, and recently had my first two shelter 'unknowns' convert to
a positive status.  Their initial intake tests came back negative for
antibodies.  Snowflake and Pepe are cagemates, and we believe they were
exposed prior to their being surrendered.  They are the only 2 positives
out of the 47 tested.

We are 'closed' until all negative shelter ferrets are re-tested, and
no new positives are found.  I will be contacting several resources to
identify the appropriate time to wait to re-test.

I am fortunate, in that I have a separate facility that houses our shelter.
I have my positives isolated in our home.  I have a devoted shelter
volunteer, Ann, that is taking care of the (-)shelter kids, almost
exclusively, so we minimize any chance of cross contamination.

We have been referring all surrenders to the Greater Dayton Ferret
Association, for the past several months.  I knew it was only a matter
of time, before positives would be discovered, if shelters started to
faithfully test.  I felt I needed to get all of our 'known negatives'
adopted, getting our numbers down, in anticipation of becoming a
'dedicated' ADV facility.

I elected to 'change direction' around the beginning of the year, because
other shelters would need a place to transfer their positives, as needed,
in order to remain 'ADV negative' facilities.  It is extremely difficult
to try to do both, and for many, would be impossible.

I am concerned, as Danee has recently mentioned, how I will be able to
financially (and emotionally) care for these 'positive' ferrets.  While
the adoption fees have helped, they will be a thing of the past for us.
We also need to limit the number of ferrets we will be able to accept,
due to the increased amount of care required daily for ailing ferrets.  I
wonder how many 'lower body' baths Yvonne has to give daily to ferrets that
have hind limb problems....not to mention the on-going extra attention that
will be required to clean up their cages, and the daily changes of bedding
these kids require.

Danee has a great idea; sponsor an ADV positive fur-kid.  If someone isn't
able to sponsor the $20.00 per month, maybe they could find a 'buddy' to
share it with, and co-sponsor an Aleutian's Kid.  There are a lot of
expenses in running a shelter.  We really don't know yet just what it may
look like trying to operate a facility long-term that only handles the
sick and dying.

In another post, Judy mentions the tremendous response the ferret community
gave for the Christmas rescue donations.  This is wonderful.  Time and
again, I see the ferret community pull together and accomplish great
things.  Yet, many people are still not testing their ferrets for ADV.  Is
it due to the cost involved, their lack of knowledge in how to acquire the
materials and perform the tests, or the fear of 'knowing' they may have an
ADV positive ferret?

Judy, you're right.  NOBODY wants to post: Hey, I've got positives!  But
not testing, not knowing, and not having to deal with it does NOT make it
go away.

I fear, if we don't all test and act accordingly on the information learned
(minimize or eliminate the spread of the virus), the day may come that an
ADV negative/un-exposed ferret will be a thing of the past.  I cannot see
into the future, but without a vaccine to protect our ferrets, I fear
Aleutian Disease has the potential to infect every household.

Research is so important.  Facilities to isolate our positives will become
necessary until a vaccine or effective treatment/cure had been developed.
Please find in your heart -and your budget- the dedication to get your
ferrets tested for Aleutian Disease antibodies.

Knowing your ferret's exposure status could make a difference...

Julie, for all the ferrets