From:
"Bruce H. Williams, DVM" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 26 Jun 1995 02:17:49 -0700
To Troy Lynn:

>Chalk up another vaccine reaction - Fervac D - mild but a reaction still.
>Badger became extremely lethargic following his vaccinations.  The owner
>had him vaccinated both for CD & rabies at the same time (guess I know
>who doesn't read FFS newsletter).  It was several hours before Badger
>felt better and his eyes brightened.  He didn't sleep just layed around
>and fidgeted.  Poor baby.

    Wait a minute!!!  No fair.  I don't think we can count this as a real
reaction.  You are injecting a lot of protein and a live virus into a ferret
- he should have a reaction like this.  That means that his immune system is
doing its job.  Just like when you get a flu shot - don't you feel lousy for
a day or two (which is why most of us don't get the flu shots.)

    Dogs and cats commonly go off food and lay around for 24 hours after
vaccinations.  That's just part of the game.  Anaphylaxis - now that's
another thing.  But not feeling well after several vaccinations - that's
to be expected.

Bruce H. Williams, DVM         Dept. of Veterinary Pathology
Chief Pathologist, AccuPath    Armed Forces Institute of Pathology
[log in to unmask]         Washington, D.C.  20306-6000