From:
Pam Grant and STAR* Ferrets <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 26 Sep 1996 07:53:30 -0400
>From:    Charles Meredith <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Ferret show
>I went to my first ferret show today in Annapolis.  It was great.  I walked
>out of the place with a 1 year old red eyed while albino ferret.  His name
>is Alex.  I couldn't resist him.

Glad he is doing well and getting along.  If there are any problems, don't
hesitate to e-mail me.  Pam of Pet Pals.

===

Homing in with scent glands

I think some people forget that ferrets have more scent glands in their
bodies than just in the anal area.  There are glands in the face area and I
believe in the feet (similar to cats and dogs).  So when your fuzzy wipes
it's face in the carpeting after eating, there is more than just food going
down.

>From:    "Michael F. Janke" <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: 3rd most popular pet?
>I've heard the claim that the ferret is the 3rd most popular pet, only
>trailing the dog and cat.

The proper way to state this "fact" is this:

_Mustela furo_ is the third most popular domesticated companion housepet,
following the dog and the cat.

There are probably as many pet ferrets as there are pet horses, but horses
are not considered house pets.  Also, there are probably more birds and fish
kept as pets than ferrets, but they are not considered domesticated.  It is
all in how you say it.

Pam Grant