Date:
Wed, 10 Apr 2002 02:12:18 +0000
Dear Collective,

We've had a terrible time with our fur kids over the last 6 months.  We
lost one to lymphoma and another one to a freak accident.

Now, out of the blue our old man (he is almost 9) has started acting very
very strange.

He becomes disoriented and staggers like a drunk man.  Sometimes he loses
his balance.  One occasion he became unresponsive and began drooling.  We
got some glucose into him and ran him to the emergency vet.  Despite the
fact he had just been eating, his blood sugar was very low.  The emergency
vet gave him sub-q fluids and got his blood sugar up to a good level.

OK.  Sunday night he became very weak in the back legs.  I fed him
nutracal and gave him some glucose solution.  He began to eat, but still
was having trouble.  We took him to the vet yesterday morning who kept
him overnight for observation.  P.B. had been eating before going and
during the trip to the vet, and yet his blood sugar was 29 when he
arrived.

Our vet is worried because P.B. doesn't seem to be absorbing glucose
correctly.  He gave him a shot to help with the glucose problem, but
is at a loss as to why this is happening,

His pupils aren't as reactive as they could be to light.  But this could
be because of the cataracts that have been forming.

Our vet let us take him home this evening, but told us to keep a very
very close eye on him.

He is still having some neurological issues, although his hind legs are
much better.

Does anybody out there have insight?  We're worried about our old man and
don't want to lose him so soon after the other two.

A very worried ferret Dad in Denver, Matthew.
(Missing Sherlock and Gryphon)