Date:
Tue, 25 Apr 2006 20:05:09 GMT
I like it.  I don't agree with the usual implied schtick that animals
are valuable because they're like a "training ground" for caring about
people.  But I still like it.  Here goes:

Caring for Animals
(by Jon Silkin)
I ask sometimes why these small animals
With bitter eyes, why we should care for them.
I question the sky, the serene blue water,
But it cannot say, it gives no answer.
And no answer releases in my head
A procession of grey shades patched and whimpering.
Dogs with clipped ears, wheezing cart horses
A fly without shadow and without thought.
Is it with these menaces to our vision
With this procession led by a man carrying wood
We must be concerned? The holy land, the rearing
Green island should be kinder than this.
Yet the animals, our ghosts, need tending to.
Take in the whipped cat and the blinded owl;
Take up the man-trapped squirrel upon your shoulder.
Attend to the unnecessary beasts.
From growing mercy and a moderate love
Great love for the human animal occurs.
And your love grows. Your great love grows and grows.

--Clover
and the rezweezils: Buddy, Cookie, Yogi, Butter, Buster (aka Fatboy),
Lew, and Marissa
"Always selling quality bedding and other goodies to help the ferrets!"
http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZwclovergalQQhtZ-1