From:
Anonymous Poster <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 01 Nov 1994 18:19:45 -0500
******Congratulations to the FML on *1,000* issues!******
A very large round of applause and dook-dooking in appreciation to you, Chris,
for this really wonderful mailing list! Thanks very much for everything you've
done!

And congratulations to you, Bill, as the new ferretmeister! :-)

* * * *

>>Re: Cal is usually a great guy but he occasionally gets into fits of biting
(esp my girlfriend)... all of a sudden he goes into a ferret dance and starts
chasing my girlfriend. she seems to think he's jealous of her since he really
doesn't do it to me... Is Cal just playing and trying to get her to play with
him or is he actually attacking her?

I can't speak for Cal, but my first ferret did the same thing with my nephew
(who really loved him.) Mr. Fuzzy Wuzzy never bit me, but he *loved* to chase
my nephew and bite his ankles. Of course my nephew ran around and this made Mr.
Fuzzy Wuzzy chase him even more. I think he was just playing, and having a lot
of fun, too!

>>Re:Is there any hope of him calming down (...I would like to give him run of
the apartment as often as possible but we don't want him destroying the place)

Acting like a lunatic part of the time is pretty normal ferret behavior. I'm
personally a believer in ferret-proofing and giving them the run of the house,
or at least a whole room, so they can run around whenever they want to.  Also,
I find that they do calm down somewhat with age.

>>Re: I really like having him but am generally caught short of knowing alot
about his proper upkeep and well being...

I think you will find this list very helpful, along with the Ferret FAQ (see
beginning of the list). Most books don't explain ferret behavior that well.
Good luck, and hope you continue to enjoy the companionship of one of the most
joyful little creatures on the planet! :-)

>>Re: I'm looking for ideas for a simple experiment involving ferrets.

How about taking a room full of *very* serious people, adding a few ferrets,
and calculating how long it will take for everyone to start enjoying themselves?
:-)

>>To the MA resident with pet ferrets:...I was under the impression that it is
against MA state law to own ferrets...

Still illegal, but possible; proceed with caution; hopefully it will change.

--Ronnie (Cinderella, Norm & Ralph's mom)