From:
Jeff Allen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 28 Jul 2000 08:52:07 -0700
I took Maya's Dr. Appointment early yesterday and all went well.  The Dr.
concurred that she depressed and her poop and temp are just fine.  So I
picked up Molly this evening out in the boonies!  She's a sweet 3 year
old originally from Utah.  Very heavy dark complection.  She's almost the
opposite of Maya in looks.

Molly was top Ferret at her last home till her cage mate died of cancer
just about a month ago.  I've been told that she's been depressed too and
is need of a playful playmate to keep up with her.  I wondered how well
these two would get along the whole ride home.

I let Molly out into the bedroom while Maya was locked up in the cage.  She
had a ball in the "New Place."  Maya on the other hand wasn't happy behind
bars.  She paced and paced and wouldn't quite calm down.  After about an
hour I let Maya out so they could meet.  Molly ran at first sniff.  They
ran around for several moments till Molly ditched her Deaf new friend.
They plodded about the room and smelled each other's environment till Maya
got her in her sights again.  Once again they ran about the room with Molly
being slightly quicker, unfortunates the room isn't too big so Maya caught
up.  They quickly tumbled about for another couple of moments till Molly
broke free and gave Maya the slip.  This time Molly took her time keeping
Maya in sight while keeping Maya from getting a good look at her.  I left
the room to grab some treats for the two of them and by the time I got
back I hear that Maya had found Molly again.  I quickly opened the door to
find Molly bolting past me into the living room w/Maya in close pursuete.
I quickely dropped the new treats and found a glove to collect Maya with,
a short time later Molly was found.

I separated the two again in the room but Maya quickly caught up to Molly.
I can tell that Molly has yet to figure out that Maya is deaf.  Maya of
course still hasn't figured out that she's deaf and can't hear Molly
screaming every time she nips her.  OY VAY.  I grabbed up Molly this time
and found her plum tuckered out.  She was like jello in my arms and seemed
quite happy to let me massage her back to health.  Maya was placed back
in the cage and Molly was given the bedroom for the rest of the evening.

This morning I woke up Molly from her place in the closet and let her romp
around the room while I did morning things.  Maya was dead asleep the
entire time.  After my morning shower I played with Molly some what and got
dressed at this point Maya began to stir so it was time for another meeting
between the two.  I let Maya out while holding Molly.  Molly went fairly
docile in my hands at the sight of Maya plomping about.  After petting and
hopefully calming Molly down I let her down in sight ot Maya.  Maya quickly
began the trip across the room to see her new roomie.  Molly on the other
hand made a bee-line away from Maya.  I very quick circle of the room was
made by both as they chased and raced about.  Molly gave Maya the ditch
when they entered the clothing basket corning.  Molly then made a bee-line
into the closet for some safety.  About 3 minutes later Maya entered the
closet, taking her time to sniff all of Molly's new stuff.  Moments later
she had found Molly crouched underneath some shelves.  Maya was in for a
challenge as it was low and not great place to maneuver for her.  After
entering the shelf Molly let out a squeal and bolted from the closet, Maya
wasn't quick to follow.  At this point I picked up Molly and put her on my
shoulders.  Maya went about her thing and I calmed Molly back down.  When
Maya entered her cage I closed it up.  That was enough for this morning
between these two.  I can tell this is going to take some time.

About 15 minutes later I picked up Molly again and brought her to the cage
so both could sniff each other threw the bars.  I had done this with Maya &
Penny three months earlier and they had gotten to know each other a little
easier in this method.  Maya came near the bars then charged.  Molly jumped
and squealed!  Wow she was scared.  I wrapped Molly up in a towel and gave
her a lot of comfort.  This is going to take a while...

Tah Tah

Jeff