From:
"Alexander Kisselgof, Lic. Ac." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 4 Aug 1999 23:58:32 -0400
Hello,
This is practically the first time we have posted to the FML, and it also
may be the last.  You see, we have decided to move to California, despite
its attitude towards ferrets.  We have two fuzzies that we love very much,
and we are having a hard time coming to terms with parting with them.  We
actually will not be moving for another year, but we are moving in with our
parents to save some money before the move, and we can't take Cornelius and
Seven with us.  Corny is a real heart-breaker.  We have had him since he
was just a babe, and he is now approaching five years old.  For a while he
was an only ferret, and grew up thinking he was a person.  He has had his
share of health problems: an adrenalectomy at age two, as well as a removal
of a rubber object of unknown object from his stomach during this surgery.
Then, when we got Seven a year later, he was a little freaked out by
another animal who definitely knew she WAS a ferret, and during his
depression, he somehow managed to swallow yet another rubber object, this
time two feet from a modem, which subsequently had to be removed.  And we
tried so hard to ferret-proof!  Seven, an albino cutie, is quite a bundle
of energy.  She can be very sweet at times, and ALWAYS uses the litter, and
always comes when called.  She knows her name; she even jumps at Seven-Up
commercials!  However, we have never been able to permanently cure her of
her biting, which only happens if she is really excited and playful, or
else when we are really upset about something, and she is showing concern!
Corny, a sable with the sweetest face you ever saw, never ever bit, and
when he and Seven finally learned to be friends, he let her have her way
with the wrestling and biting (MOST of the time, he still showed her who's
boss if he wasn't in the mood!).  He is such a loving bear, but with his
two surgeries, he was always a little on the lazy and weak side.  He still
only weighs about a pound and a half, and has recently been getting
incontinent, missing the litter a lot, and peeing on himself in bed.  We
feel so bad for him, and we don't know if anyone would ever want to take on
the responsibility of caring for him, even though he really is so precious.
We are struggling with the idea that we may have to put him to sleep.  He's
just lost that sparkling gleam he used to have in his eye, when I'd come
home and he'd jump on my chest like Dino and lick my nose for half an hour.
Now he just looks confused and tired.  So we are hoping that maybe someone
has it in their heart to look after him in what may be his last year on the
planet.  Seven has always been very healthy, and at two and a half, we
think she would be quite comfortable if she could find a home with one or
more other ferrets.  She is very playful and mischievous, and would delight
any knowledgeable and caring ferret owner with her charming personality.
We will be happy to donate all our ferret accessories to either a new
owner, or, if you don't need them, we could donate the items to a shelter.
We have a three level Midwest ferret playpen with extra shelves (model
140), numerous litter pans of different shapes and sizes, all sorts of
toys, food dishes and water bottles, a travel case, and other ferret
accessories.  They have never had ECE, and are up to date on all their
shots.  We have been lurking on this newsletter for years, and we know that
there are loads of caring people out there who may offer to help, or even
just to send some words of advice or support.  Thanks for reading our
letter.

Alex and Alison Kisselgof
Wellesley, Massachusetts