From:
Broomie FD <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 29 Mar 2002 23:29:38 -0300
Hi All,
I am so glad to be here.

I am presently looking to buy one or two ferrets, our first.  I like the
idea of having two ferrets, so they can play and cuddle together.  I see
some of you have several, how wonderful :)!  I am very new to the ferret
world but I am researching all I can on these beatuiful animals.  I plan
to set up a ferret room, with all the accessories and also will ferret
proof our home.  I want to be well prepared and am very serious about
taking good care and responsibility of my future ferret/s.  We have one
dog, one hamster and a frog presently whom we all cherish and our pets are
like family to us, with us for life.  We did have two cats since they were
kittens but last year they both died at different times (ages 14 & 15).
We have a 4 year old son and I have read somewhere that maybe we should
wait until our child is older before we get ferrets.  Do you think we
should wait until our son is older, ~6-7?  Can a ferret be succussfully
trained not to bite and is it difficult to teach not to bite?  If we buy
an older ferret who bites can they be trined not to bite?  There are no
ferret breeders here and the only places I can get a ferret here is
through the a petstore or from someone who probably got one at a petstore
and doesn't want it anymore and is now selling it.  Animal shelters rarely
get them and they won't put me on a waiting list for one.  Is there
anything we should be concerned with if we buy a ferret from a
petstore..ferrets at the petstore here are altered and descented.  I was
thinking about buying a female.  Do females give off less odor?  I
understand that males are bigger in size than females.  Even when male,
female are altered and descented is there still much of an odor problem?
Anyway I have alot to learn and will enjoy first hand hearing from you all
your experiences with your furry ferret friends.  Hopefully I won't have
long to wait before I can share my own experiences!

Hugs
Newfoundland Canada
Broomie