From:
"Ferrets First Shelter, TX" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 26 Jan 1996 21:53:14 -0500
Jim, you must be new to this forum...

Distemper shots ARE very necessary.  Kits need a series of four shots at two
week intervals, then annual boosters.  Pam Grant covered this quite well
just recently in this digest.  The post regarding 'ferrets in the classroom'
in today's digest explains the need for rabies vaccinations.  A good ferret
vet will help you decide the proper age to give this to your young one, with
annual boosters.  DO NOT give both at the same time, it is very hard on
their immune system and could trigger a reaction.

Whether around other animals or not, they need these shots.  I have been
told that if you walk where an animal with Distemper has been, you can bring
it in on your shoes to your ferret.  If you pat a stray on the head, you
could bring Distemper to your ferret.  These vaccines are very important!
Ferrets get more colds, flu, and other diseases from you than from direct
contact with other animals.

The most important thing you can do for your fuzzies is to find a 'good
ferret vet' in your area.  An ordinary 'good vet' will not do.  Ferrets are
different.  Ordinary Distemper and Rabies vaccines will KILL your ferret.
The vet must know and have the proper vaccines.  Physical exams by 'ordinary
vets' often miss critical symptoms in ferrets, this can lead to death.
Email me directly for the vaccines I use and I will help you find a ferret
vet in your area.  Suggest you read "A Practical Guide to Ferret Care" by
Deborah Jeans.  Many important and helpful things in this book for any and
all ferret owners.  If you have a ferret you NEED this book.