From:
Pamela Greene <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 1 Oct 1997 10:32:17 -0400
Janna Reinarz asked:
>I have seen references on this list to seasonal shedding resulting in a
>thinned tail.  I have also seen references to ear mites infesting the tail,
>as ferrets often sleep with their tail by their head, and causing hair loss.
> [...]
> _How_do_I_tell_the_difference?_

Either wait and see if the hair loss gets worse, especially beyond the tail,
or have the U.  Tennessee adrenal panel (blood tests) done.  For more
information about the latter, see the Adrenal FAQ or email me (I have a
bunch of information from the folks at U.  Tenn.  that I haven't had time to
include in the FAQ).

Good luck,

--
- Pam Greene