From:
Pamela E Troutman and STAR* Ferrets <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 29 May 1999 11:14:27 EDT
>From:    [log in to unmask]
>Subject: The more I read--the more concerned i become.
>Lastly, and of most importance, was the discussion of organizations like
>Anti cruelty society, and humane societys:The really large organizations
>that get big bucks from donations.  It does not go to any shelters.
>Alicia wrote this to me.  I believed her.  But now I read that cat and
>dog shelters aren't getting any funding from these huge societies either.
>What does this mean for ferret shelters??

The huge animal "welfare/rights" groups do not support the animal shelter
business by funds.  That is true.  HSUS, American Humane Assoc and other
big groups do support shelters with conferences and magazines where
shelters can network and learn from each other.  STAR* Ferrets attends the
HSUS Animal Care Expo every year to educate animal shelter and control
people about ferrets, their care and where ferrets can go if that facility
does not want to take in ferrets.  STAR* could not reach this large
audience without HSUS allowing us space.  I buy their magazine (next issue
is supposed to have ferret info in it) because I learn from other groups
and as an active participant and subscriber, I can submit information for
publication and educate even more shelters about ferrets.

Do I support them with donations?  No.  Should I?  Well, I already pay for
booth space at the Expo (which is costing more every year) and pay for a
magazine subscription.  I think I send them enough.  Should you?  That is
your choice, but what Animal People publishes annually is a list of the
saleries the officers of these animal organizations are paid each year.  I
send most of my donations to the Morris Animal Foundation in CO, or through
work in the CFC to local groups who use less than 10% for administrative
fees.  You usually don't see the groups in Animal People's list on true
charity organization lists.  YET - without some groups like HSUS and AHA
working with and for smaller animal groups legislatively and in network
fashion, we would be the worse for wear in many areas.  HSUS has helped the
ferret community more than some like to admit.

There are many pros and cons in all animal groups.  Shelters receive no
funding through big animal organizations.  But shelters receive other
things that can be as valuable.  So if you want to support a shelter
financially, send the dollars directly to them.

Pam