From:
Tressie Dutchyn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 26 Oct 2007 12:15:44 -0300
>thanx for the info. sound like a really good method. I'm going to
>need a lot of restraint not to use their name when they do bad
>stuff... hmmn... wonder if a name that is only used when they are
>bad would make them run away and hide when you used it...
>
>now, do you have a foolproof litter training technique to share?

Hi Selina,

Thanks for writing. In terms of what word to use when they are
misbehaving - the gold standard amongst animal trainers is a simple
"NO". State it firmly and emphatically (not shouting). That is all
that is required. They will get the message clearly since it is almost
impossible to say "NO" in a way that is not clearly understood that
you aren't happy. Also it needs to be said almost immediately when you
catch them in the act. If you wait, they will become confused and take
it to mean whatever they are engaged in at that moment.

If you have already used their names in a disciplinary way, it may be
difficult, although not impossible to get them to think of their name
as anything more than a "mixed message" you are giving them. In which
case you may have to change their names. You could use a derivative of
the name. For example, if the name you've given one is "Horatio" and
you've already used it when annoyed, you may consider changing it to
"Harry" and only using it in a positive way.

The difficulty is that ferrets are extremely intelligent and learn
quickly. In other words, if you've already used their names to denote
a disciplinary tone, they aren't likely to forget the association.

In terms of litter training. I think its important first to acknowledge
that ferrets by their very nature, do not consistently use a litter
box. The very best we can expect from them is that they use it more
often than not. To expect more is not realistic and can cause great
frustration not only for you but for your fuzzy.

I recall a piece of wisdom I came across sometime ago about ferrets and
litter training and I believe its true. And that is, if your ferret
isn't using the litter box at all - you either have it in the wrong
place, have the wrong kind of litter, or its the wrong kind of litter
box for your particular fuzzy. It takes patience and experimentation
to find the right combination, but be assured there will be one.

I think the key to teaching/training ferrets anything is to work with
their basic instincts and nature. To do otherwise will be a constant
source of aggravation and frustration and will alienate you from your
beloved fuzzy.

I hear lots of complaints about ferrets being stubborn and even I have
said that. The truth is that its not that they are stubborn as much as
it is that we demand them to conform to our 'human' ways, even when
its contrary to their very 'ferret' natures. I think practicing more
acceptance and working on realistic expectations will go a long way
toward nurturing a loving relationship with these amazing animal
companions.

I am going to copy this reply to the FML in the hopes that it may be of
some value to other group members.

Sincerely,
Tressie