From:
Date:
Thu, 26 Dec 1996 15:58:26 -0800
>From:    "marie i. schatz" <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: litter and ferret shows
>Litter: I was wondering if any of you out there who have switched to the
>wood pellets for litter also have cats who use the litter.

All of our cats were older and declined to accept wood pellet litter.

Not considering this as part of the Trish/AFA debate, just an offshoot.
Nothing accusatory in the postings.  Thought we could explain things in a
manner that answers the wondering.

>Shows: [...] My first ferret show ... was both really exciting: Look at the
>cool stuff!  Look at all the cute ferrets!  and disappointing: these little
>table are where they show?  This is it?  I think its just that you get used
>to seeing large cat and dog shows on TV with a big ring etc.

Well the Westminster Kennel club (only one we've seen on TV is MUCH more
impressive than any ferret show.  This is also among the very largest pet
fancy shows anywhere.  Its like comparing the average high school basketball
game to the NFL's superbowl.  Related in being a show (atheletic
competition) but of a different pet (game).  Diane used to show German
Shepherds.  The average dog show she went to were definitely larger than the
average ferret show.  No question.  But at these dog shows while there might
have been more dogs there were less of any given breed.

As for the table size, ferrets are rather small compared to dogs.  How much
room is needed?  A dog is shown on the floor because it is bigger than a
ferret.  Well except the toy dogs which are shown on even smaller grooming
tables.  On TV you usually see the Best of Group and Best of Show
competitions not the breed specific which would appear much more like a
ferret show.

Sheena shows cats so she'll have more to say on that.

We do not dispute that ferrets shows are not yet as large and prestigious as
dog shows.  But there are also many many more dogs in the country.  The AKC
has also been going on quite a bit longer, since 1884.  Almost a hundred
years before the equivalent AFA.

>My sister said if the judges handled her that way she would surely bite the
>way they squeeze them and handle them.

We understand the less experienced folks wonder about the squeezing.  It is
not at all painful the way the vast majority of judges do the examination.
Think about human massage, it looks possibly painful but feels divine.  This
is one reason most show systems have ways to ask about the judging.  We are
do a bit of a health check looking for swollen glands and systems - not for
diagnosis but for sizes fitting within the norms of muscles and bones.
There have been judges bit - surprising few actually.  The bites usually are
at first touch before the prodding begins.  Comments on abuse was surprising
only from an experienced ferret shelter operator who should be doing medical
check when ferrets come in to the shelter (followed by a vet visit when
something abnormal is seen).  We check out ferrets that enter our shelter
and take any potential problems to Dr. Kawsaki.

bill and diane killian
zen and the art of ferrets
http://www.zenferret.com/
mailto:[log in to unmask]