Date:
Sat, 28 Aug 1999 13:19:41 -0400
Hi ferret lovers: I am also the woman with the unspayed female story in
todays newsletter.  I just wanted to share this little story with u also.

My oldest white baby, started to throw up her food, and the next day, she
stopped eating.  By the 3rd day she wasnt moving her bowls, and not taking
water .  It was very hot and at first i thought it was the heat.  By the
4th day she was listless.  I was very upset by this point.  I made an appt
with the vet and took her in.  He took xrays and said he wasnt sure but
might be a blockage, even though he couldnt see it on the xrays.  Well,
im not a vet and i could see it on xrays.  He began to tell me how ferrets
dont hold up to operations well.  HA HA HA HA.  I read here all the time
and know, it was more like, he didnt want to do the operation.  I called
another vet the next day.  I was sick at heart, i was think ing where i
could borrow about 800 dollars for the operation.  I couldnot let my baby
die,but was comming up about $600 dollars short of the money i figured i
might need.  By now my baby was not even getting up, and sleeping all the
time.  In bad shape.  We ran to the new vet.  She put my listless baby on
table and palpated her stomach so hard that my baby woke up and jumped in
the air and fell on the floor.  She said she thought she felt something in
there, she took xrays and we waited for her to read them, well 20 minutes
later, the vets helper came in and said the xrays were not good and they
needed to take another.  When i went in the cage to get Angel, i saw this
slimmy pile of mucas poop in the corner.  I just started to scream, "She
pooped, she pooped".  The people in the office must have thought i was
nuts.  The vet came running in and put on gloves and checked the poop.
There it was, the BLOCKAGE had passed.  I was so happy i was jumping
around.  Anyway, the thing that my Angel ate was the stopper that is inside
the dryer door to prevent it from slamming shut.  It is about the size of
an asperin, and she must have chewed it off and swallowed it.  When iIbath
my ferrets , I put a couple towels in the dryer and tumble them around to
warm them up, then let the wet ferrets go in the dryer to dry themselves
on the hot towels.

When the vet was palpating Angels stomach so hard, she must have dislodged
it.  The vet had already written up the estimate for the operation, it was
over 800 dollars.  Boy, this was good luck.

Well, good fortune to all the fuzzies out there.

Sharon ahd her babies= Angel and Baby