From:
The Lady of Shalott <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 16 Jul 1997 22:19:47 -0700
Please help!

I took my ferret to be vaccinated against distemper.  (He was abandoned in a
pet store five months ago and I took him in.) I have no knowledge of past
vaccinations.  He got the vaccine 7-2-97.  On the 12th he very red in the
penis and rectum areas.  He was lethargic and he was keeping his eyes
closed, and a bit wobbily.  He was eating and drinking fine..  Salivating
ALOT...The Dr. thought it may be heliobacter.  Treated him with fluids,
Metronidazole Solution, Carafate Solution, Cimetidine.  He was in the
hospital on Sat July 12-Mon july 14.  Oh the bloodwork was normal just low
calcium, and low glucose.  He is home now.  The salivation has stopped.  He
is still tired, not as wobbily eating and drinking fine.  His face is brown
around the mouth.  Eyes are fine.  The His feet are scaley.  I'm scared to
death that this is distemper.  Since he has been with me he has not been out
of the house..no where to contact it.  Could have the vaccine have caused
this reaction?  And will it turn into full distemper.  I have two other
ferrets that need their shots but now I'm afraid to get them them.  Plus
they have been exposed to "Buster." The Dr. Insisted that it wasn't
distemper in the beginning.  Now that he heard about the "scaly" feet he
called because he is "a little concerned."

Meanwhile, I'm panicing.  Please give me some hope.

Thanks
Margo