From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 8 Jun 2001 17:26:20 -0400
>I received Spike's biopsy results today as shown - Eosinophilic
>Gastroenteritis.  Spike is on Clavamox and Carafate now and will be
>strarting pred tomorrow and receive an Ivermectin injection again
>(already had 2 a month ago on Monday when his staples are removed.  I
>have stopped feeding him Marshalls Ferret Food and have been giving him
>Eukanuba Kitten Chicken & Rice

That makes no sense - there is chicken in Marshall's.  Talk to your vet
about a protein exclusion diet that Spike has not been exposed to in the
past - Turkey and Barley, Lamb and Rice, Kangaroo and Potato.

>was also told to get Donagel (sp?) at the store.   A lot of other things
>that I don't understand are also on these results and the "poor overall
>nutritional condition" statement really scares me too.

No clue on the 'donagel' stuff.  The text of the biopsy results did not
come through on the attachment.

>Should I be worried about all the other findings I don't understand?  What
>else should I do for him?  Also, my other ferrets blood work came back
>exactly like Spike's but they have never had the vomiting and bloody
>stool like Spike.  Is it possible they all have this?  My vet thought
>Lymphosarcoma as Spike's problem until the biopsies since his brother
>Angel died of it a few months ago even though Angel never had problems
>like Spike either.

EG seldom causes any changes in the bloodwork.  It is basically diagnosed
based on clinical signs, biopsy and/or response to treatment.

Hope this helps.
-Dr. Karen

DISCLAIMER:
This e-mail is provided for general informational purposes only.  It is in
no way intended as a replacement for a consultation with a qualified
licensed veterinarian.  If you are concerned about your pet's health, you
should seek the advice of your regular veterinarian as soon as possible.