From:
Tanya Grave <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 15 Mar 2002 10:26:00 -0800
Hi Jessica,

I have 8 ferrets who range in age from 1 - 6.  Only one of my oldest has
had an adrenal removed (just last year), all the rest of my kids have been
healthy with the exception of a URI here and there (these were mostly
contracted from me.)

I don't think you can really know if your ferret will get sick now or
in the future.  But I think it's important to make sure all your animals
(not just ferrets) get fresh, clean water free of chemicals, good quality
ferret food including duck soup with supplements, plenty of exercise
including sunshine and fresh air.  Ferrets also need a dark den like area
to retreat to for sleep and relaxation.  Also consider that your animals
are taken to the vet as needed.  This is very important because as your
ferret gets older, an annual blood panel can diagnose an internal problem
that is not apparent to the eye.

Personally I house my ferrets cages by the kitchen/family room right next
to the windows.  During the Spring/Summer I can leave the windows open;
and for Fall/Winter I move to the other side of the room (opposite of the
windows) and only open the windows as needed.  They have very thick, soft
sleepsacks to cuddle in and keep warm.  This gives them plenty of fresh
air and sunshine - and they also get to look out to the backyard and watch
the dogs be goofy.

I think if you make sure all these needs are met your ferret will live a
long happy and full life.

FuzzyHugz,

Tanya and Max, Raider, Peanut, Goose, Unagi, Pikachu, Hank and Harry
plus the dirty stinkin' dogs Oliver, Randy, Charlie, Ted, and Petey Pie