From:
Lara Tyminski <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 5 Aug 1999 10:10:50 -0500
Nikki,

Before you get an emergency kit together, maybe you should find out why
your ferret died.  You should also assess the health and environment of
your surviving ferrets.  I'm basing this on your statements about the
ferret being alone, despite being a 'people' ferret, and that she was stuck
in her blanket for an unknown time, unable to get food and water because
her nails were so long.  To me this sounds like neglect.  Maybe I didn't
understand what you wrote, but if I had first hand knowledge of a ferret
who died, possibly because they couldn't get to food and water due to being
trapped in their blanket, well, I would report it to the SPCA.

Like I said, maybe you weren't clear in your post.  I'm very sorry about
your ferrets death.  Did you do a post mortem?  Did the vet take a look
inside her?  How long was she unable to reach her food and water?  Knowing
why she died may help you look after your remaining ferrets.

For an emergency illness kit I would have -

Syringes, Pedialyte, Baby Food, Thermometer, A hot water bottle, or one of
those things you can freeze Or heat in the microwave.  A Scale, Blood Stop
Powder or a Styptic Pencil, A "Sick Cage" which will hold a small litter
box and the heating pad wrapped in a towel.  I'm sure other people will
have other things.

A really good idea is to get your babies used to Pedialyte and Baby food or
duck soup When They Are Healthy!  A sick ferret may not want to eat at all,
let alone a strange new food.  You can buy Pedia-pops, or freeze your own.
* NOTE*    Pedialyte is only 'active' for 24 hr. (maybe 48) check the label.
If people freeze their own, I have to question if it still has the same
properties.  You can also freeze small quantities of baby food, or duck
soup in an ice cube tray, and place the frozen cubes in a freezer bag,
defrosting only the portions you need.

Check out and download all the medical FAQ's you can find about ferrets and
read them over from time to time.

Most importantly - spend time with your ferrets.  Make sure they have a
stimulating environment.  Make sure they have lots of time with you.  Make
sure their cage, bedding and litter are clean.  CUT THEIR NAILS WEEKLY!
Bath once a month or two.  Clean ears regularly.  Go over their bodies at
least once a month feeling everywhere for lumps or bumps.  Look at their
skin, check for fleas.

I'm really sorry about your baby, but if the above sounds like too much
work, or you no longer have time, maybe you should consider finding a new
home for your babies.

Good luck,
Lara