From:
STAR Feret <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 13 Dec 1997 14:46:41 EST
Some shelters might feel these questions leave a lot of information
uncovered, other shelters might feel certain concerns of theirs have been
left off, but I have found the following adoption form useful in getting
people thinking about a ferret as a pet really THINKING about what a ferret
is as a pet.  If your shelter does not have a screening process, you are
welcomed to use the following format, or to get a nice typed hardcopy,
contact me about the ferret business starter kit.

   INFORMATION FOR FERRET ADOPTION

   STAR FORM#13  1/14/96

   NAME (please print):
   ADDRESS:
   CITY, STATE, ZIP:
   HOME AND WORK PHONE #s:
   (H)  _____________    ________
   (W) __________     __________
1. Have you owned a ferret before?         YES / NO
   If no, go to question 5.
2. Do you have ferret(s) now?      YES / NO
   If so, how many?      ________ What ages? ________
   Are they all neutered/spayed? Y / N
3. Have your ferret(s) been exposed to the green virus (ECE)?      YES / NO
   (Mucus like, smelly, odd colored stools - do you want more informaiton?)
4. If you don't have your ferret(s) now, what happened to it/them? _
5. Do you have other pets; if so, what?
6. Are there children in this household; if so, what ages?
7. Do you have a cage for the ferret(s); if so, what kind/size?
8. Do you have at least an hour or two a day to play with the ferret(s)?
    YES / NO
9.  Have you ferret-proofed the home?       YES / NO
    (Look at things from a 2 year old's point of interest and block 1" and
    larger holes in kitchen and laundry areas, etc.)
10. Ferrets should NOT be fed grocery store cat foods.  Are you prepared to
    pay twice as much for quality kitten / cat / ferret foods?    YES / NO
11. Ferrets need to visit the vet at least once a year for distemper and
    rabies shots.  Are you willing to pay $50 - $100 annually for vet
    visits?     YES / NO
12. Do you own or rent? ______     If you rent, does your landlord allow
    ferrets?    YES / NO
13. Are you and your family prepared to keep ferrets until they are 6-9
    years of age?  This includes lifestyle changes like children going off
    to college, having a baby, moving to a new place, etc.  YES / NO

    If you can not make a long term commitment to a young ferret, have you
    thought about adopting an older ferret?
14. I wish to be put on a list for:
    Young Adoptee _____    1-3 year old _____
    4 year old _____       Oldster _____

I have answered the above questions truthfully and have done the required
research into ferret care and my housing situation.

Parent/guardian signature if under 18 years of age: ________________________
RETURN FORM TO: