From:
"Kramer, James" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 9 Jan 1995 08:10:00 EST
Dr. Williams:

3 weeks ago, quite by accident, my fiancee and I discovered and shortly
thereafter purchased our first ferret.  Yesterday, we bought our little
kit's brother, who was still unsold and being shipped between different pet
stores that are part of a chain here in Ottawa. They get along wonderfully.

I'm seeking resolution of an issue that seems to be somewhat contentious:
 wood chips.  Hagen is a major supplier of pet supplies and ferrets
(including our two) in Canada, and they encourage ferret owners to use wood
chips as bedding and even include wood chips as part of a "ferret starter
kit".  This seems to contradict the information in every other reputable
source I have read, which suggest wood chips cause respiratory problems (and
perhaps other problems) in ferrets.

Since you are highly respected and seem to be one of the foremost
authorities when it comes to ferret health, I would appreciate reading your
insights regarding this issue.  If wood chips are in fact a hazard to
ferrets, I will take steps to encourage Hagen to stop their practice of
promoting chips as bedding material.  To that end, any research data or
other information you can provide on the subject would be appreciated.  If
you would like to provide a paragraph or two of text I can include in my
correspondence, I would be happy to quote you.

Thanks for your help!

P.S.  Our kits sleep, most contentedly, in old sweatshirts and towels.