From:
Mary Conley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 7 Sep 2002 21:12:24 EDT
>I want to teach them how much of a responsibility it is to care for
>ferrets.  And how should I handle all of these teenagers wanting to hold
>and handle (sometime correctly, sometimes not) all our fuzzies.  I know
>that too much handling can cause kitties and puppies to become upset,
>what about ferts?  None of my ferts are biters, but all have had their
>shots.  SOOO, any suggestions or ideas will be very much appreciated.

I used to do this with my rabbits, and as you may know they are very
timid.  I never let them be shifted or completely held from one child to
another.  I would allow the students to see how soft they were by petting
them in their cage.  I had a portable cage that opened from the top up,
so they could reach in.  They would do it two at a time.  Or you can hold
a ferret and allow them to pet it.  If you have 4, divide your room up so
that one is not "handled" too much.  I would also have them lower their
voices and I would lower the lighting.  Then I'd begin my presentation on
how my rabbits lived at home, their fear factor, why they shake, etc.  So
by the time they came up to pet the little bunnies they were very quiet
and respectful.  I would never allow one of my pets to roam among the
children for fear it and they would frighten it by excessive play.  Then
they'd line up to wash hands.

I think they wanted to know how to take care of them at home; what they
eat; how difficult their care was (if it was); what they did for play; if
they ran around the house/lawn; and a lot of my time I allowed questions
and we could go on for hours.

Good luck!  You'll have so much fun.

Warmly ~
Mary