From:
Katharine Long <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 9 Mar 2010 10:34:09 -0500
I have found that you can't actually "force" an animal to eat, at least
with enough food to keep it alive. They will clench their teeth, spit
it out, or just hold it in their mouth and let it drool out. This can
also cause stress ulcers and a total nightmare for both of you. I think
of it more as "assisted" feeding, and I call it syringe feeding. :)  If
you have to FORCE the animal to eat, there is something more going on
and a vet visit is in order.

I will first try feeding from a bowl with a measured portion. Often
just soaking their kibble in water and running it through the blender
will work. I will quickly move to a syringe if the bowl doesn't work
after one or two tries. You can't keep trying for days, watching them
shrink to nothing.

For syringe feeding, I use a mix of 1 can of A/D, 1 jar of meat baby
food, and 1/4 cup of water, all mixed with a hand mixer. Mix well and
it will flow easily through a syringe. This is a very bland mix and
will be gentle on the tummy and digestive system. I use 20cc "O" ring
syringes, as those fit best in my hand. The "O" rings also move much
more smoothly, avoiding dumping large amounts in at once. I start with
anywhere from 20 to 35cc per feeding, 3-4 times per day, and work up
to 40-50cc per feeding. My goal is to feed a minimum of 120cc per day
if they are not eating on their own. If they are eating some, I might
syringe feed just twice a day. The most I ever feed in one sitting is
50cc, and sometmes the ferret will tell me it is full before we reach
that point. I have NEVER had a single ferret refuse this mix after
only one or two tries. Once used to it, their little tongues get going
before you even get the syringe there. It is a wonderful bonding time
also.

Now, this part is very important. While most animals eat on all fours,
you should hold them upright when syringe feeding! Don't cradle or feed
them lying down. You have much more control when they are upright. I
am right-handed and this is how I do it. I cross my left calf over my
right thigh, leaving a "V" opening. I put a towel over my lap and put
the ferret into the "V". The ferret is sitting up, with its back facing
my left knee. If they are wiggly, I scruff while feeding. If not, I
just gently put my left hand around their head and upper body to keep
them from flipping out of my lap.

It is important to weigh regularly. I routinely weigh all of my ferrets
monthly, but will weigh those who have eating/weight problems once a
week. You can adjust your syringe feedings accordingly.

Ask someone to show you how to properly syringe feed. It is really not
hard. Don't let people scare you with all the bad things that can
happen. I would never have tried it if my vet had not been positive and
supportive of my abilities. Patience is the key. Make sure each "bite"
has been swallowed before giving the next. If you give too much at
once, it will normally just run out of the mouth. It is rare that you
will aspirate if you feed calmly and slowly, and use a smoothly flowing
syringe. If it does happen, stop immediately, turn the ferret upside
down, support its entire body, including the head and neck, and GENTLY
swing it up and down, while holding it upside down. This will help to
loosen whatever has gotten into the lungs. Don't sling them around. Be
gentle. Ask another person, if available, to pat the back just as you
would do if someone chokes. If you are alone, you can also hold the
ferret upside down from your knees, supported on your legs, and pat on
the back. A ferret is large enough that you should be able to safely
clear the lungs without bad effects. I have seen up to 100cc cleared
from a 10-15 lb. animal (lactated ringers administered with a feeding
tube accidentally placed into the lungs) with no ill effects. If you
stop immediately, you will greatly lessen the chances of aspiration
pneumonia. If you have aspirated, even if the ferret seems OK, contact
your vet immediately and ask for a round of antibiotics.

Don't give up on syringe feeding. This skill is so important if you
have animals, as important as as giving sub-q fluids. While I learned
these skills on ferrets, they have given me confidence to use them on
other animals as well. I had to learn both in emergency situations,
not the best situation to learn. It is better to learn both before you
need them.

Katharine
Florida