From:
Troy Lynn Eckart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 24 Nov 1999 12:46:38 -0600
I'll be off-line Thursday through Sunday.  If anyone needs me please call
me at home 785-456-8337.  I'll be out on Friday for surgeries but home the
rest of the time.

I read differing opinions on temperatures so I'll throw in my thoughts and
experiences, but remember these are my own and each of us is entitled to
our own thoughts and opinions and to open up and share our experiences.

In our home if the temp is kept 68 or lower on a breezy or icy day the
ferrets shiver, huddle together to sleep under the warm fluffy quilts and
sleep more.  At 70-72 they seem to be more comfortable.  The basement is
cooler but there is a heat vent directly over their bedding area and they
still huddle together under the quilt.  In the summer I try to keep the
temp about 72 and they seem to do fine.  Through all seasons I'm constantly
adjusting the thermostat to compensate for outdoor temperatures (ahhh the
joys of older homes).

I would rather have the ferrets be comfortable in a temperature they have
normal activity in.  I also have terminal and older ferrets that need
warmer temperatures.  This sometimes mean that our home is kept warmer
than even I prefer and although it may be a little warmer than most of
the ferrets need, it is not too warm to make the others uncomfortable.
Ferrets, like humans, from my experience, have difficulty regulating body
temperatures when they get into their senior years.  Extra warm clean
bedding is helpful for sleeping but they still have to come out to eat and
go to the bathroom.  For me, I'm not too keen on getting up when the house
is chilly, nor do I expect the ferrets to be!

My guess is that the ferrets can somewhat acclimate to the temperatures
they are in over time, if the temperatures aren't extreme cold or extreme
hot and they have adequate bedding and housing.  I know in the Fredonia
breeder's experience he found dead ferrets every winter and they were kept
in a shed with plenty of straw and kept in cages throughout the warmer
weather.  He also found dead ferrets in hotter weather too.

Bringing an outdoor ferret indoors to controlled temps would be less
stressful than leaving an indoor ferret outdoors, in my opinion.  Of course
in my opinion (and boy am I'm opening myself up for flames here so please
do us all a favor and send them directly to me and not clutter up the fml)
ferrets should be in-house social companions.  Ferrets need and crave daily
human interaction including play and loving.

Another aspect on keeping ferrets outside or in somewhere other than your
home, is monitoring.  Who will notice an insulinoma episode or a urinating
problem or tons of other medical problems?

Remember, we are welcome to our opinions, right or wrong in the eyes of
others.  If you keep your ferrets outside, in a garage or somewhere other
than your home, do you feel that you are doing right by them and are they
happy and healthy?

If the ferrets are unhappy, stressed, ailing, neglected, sad, or any other
negative aspect, then you may need to take a close look at what you are
doing to these innocent creatures and hopefully change your practices.  How
can you tell?  Has your ferret lost over 10% of it's body weight in a short
period of time?  Does your ferret notice when you appear?  Does your ferret
act happy to see you or just look at you with dull eyes?  Is your ferret
eating and drinking normally?  Ferrets are a high activity social
companion.  If they change from an outgoing happy ferret and exhibit
'loner' type symptoms, they may be unhappy or ill and changes need to be
implemented.

For me, the ferrets that come to me share my home, my life, my love, and I
am truly and unconditionally devoted to them.  All of their needs, and
beyond, are met.  If you ever visit our home you will see we live
differently than most.  Our home is made and kept for the comfort of the
ferrets.  I wouldn't have it any other way for me.  This may not work for
others but there can be a happy medium.

I hope everyone has a wonderful and yummy thanksgiving.

Hugs to all. tle
Troy Lynn Eckart
Ferret Family Services
Please sign up to support our charity