From:
"Diana C. Ashby" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 17 Nov 1996 16:12:22 -0500
He fellow ferret friends - I have been lurking over your messages and
thought I would join this great group.  I tend to be rather talkative, so I
might just "wear out" my welcome on the first posting :).  Barney Boy is an
eleven week old sable that just joined us a few weeks ago and, needless to
say, requires constant attention (surprise, surprise).  My first ferret,
Pup, departed after nine inseparable years together and I just couldn't face
another one for the past two and a half years........then there was the Barn
who looks exactly like Pup and I sometimes even find myself calling him
Pupper dog (Pup thought he was a dog).  I am one of those ferret owners that
soon is owned by the ferret and Barn pretty much has the run of the house,
after we boarded up every little tiny hole (under the stove, under counters,
etc.) that would be perfect escape hatches.  I even found myself going home
from a party last night at 10pm, telling my husband Barney needs to play
(obviously, he is the child here - we also have a dog who Barney finds very
amusing and he chases her 45 pounds of girth around, biting at her ankles -
(just in case you're wondering, no, we never leave those two unsupervised:))
Hubby thinks I like Barn better than him, and well, I have to admit it is
appearing that way.  If I come home and Barney is in the multi-level cage we
bought him, I demand to know why he is not out and tell my husband to go
live in the closet himself for hours on end and see how he likes it - yes, I
know, a bit obsessed.

Still working on a few problems - Barn is very interested in the plant scene
and although we've elevated them, he (of course) found a way to get into the
bigger pots.  Now we're making wooden boards that fit over the plants,
allowing only the plant to be exposed - no doubt he'll figure this out too.
The stair case is also blocked because I once found Barn torturing me by
climbing up and looking down from a flight of stairs above.  I was trying in
my calm voice to coax him down and going from side to side in case he
decided to jump for it.  Yes, our really nice house kind of looks a little
tacky now, but you know, Barney runs the place, so we have to conform.

You all seem like a great group of ferret owners and I was wondering if any
of you are from the Houston area or surrounding area (Pup was raised in
California by the way, so we had to go through that same stupid legislature
garbage when we were there too).  The worst thing was finding a good vet out
there.

I also have been hearing Barney "gag" a little when he eats and I know
you've probably already discussed this, but your insight would be
appreciated.  Also, I've been trying to get one of those carrying bags for
him and a harness (like he's really going to walk with me) but can't find a
catalog that sells the bag (the harness seems to be in abundant supply) so
if any of you have the time, I would be very grateful for some info.  - I
really like the fun looking multi-colored items and noticed Barn Boy eyeing
them as well.

thanks so much- diana [log in to unmask]