From:
William Killian <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 15 Apr 2001 12:55:54 -0400
>From:    Darrin vickmark <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: where are ferrets from???
>
>although there is no proof, I think ferrets were a subspecies of the
>English polecat...something about the polecat and some other species
>breeding, and producing the outcome: ferrets.

Well there is a lot of evidence of the domestic ferret (mustela furo) being
derived from the European polecat (mustela putorius) but also some evidence
that puts the Asian polecat (mustela eversmanni) as a possible contributor
to the genetics of the ferret.

Both the European polecat and the black footed ferret (mustela nigripes)
are apparently descended from the Asian polecat so the ferrets background
is perhaps tangled a bit.

>there has never been a ferret colony anywhere in the world, ever...even
>the record books say this.  It's because that they've been domesticated
>for over 3000 years, and most ferrets have lost nearly all of their
>preditory instincts.

Domestic ferrets have indeed managed to go feral in Europe where they can
co-exist with the local polecats.  And in New Zealand where they were
included with other weasels and polecats released in a short sighted
attempt to deal with another released imported animal (rabbits I believe)

Ferrets have probably not been domesticated for 3000 years but perhaps more
like 2500 years if we recall correctly.

Most ferrets have decidedly NOT lost their predatory instincts.  They were
primarily working animals working in extermination of rats until the middle
of the last century and not become primarily domestic pets until only some
two or three decades ago.  That is the American version.  In much of Europe
and other places in the world ferrets are still perhaps primarily working
animals used in hunting rabbits.

bill and diane killian
zen and the art of ferrets