From:
sharin alpert <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 23 Oct 1998 23:10:53 -0700
MF types: Both my ferrets, Chloe and Ramon, both bought "used," are MF, if
you can believe the dots in their ears - and both are sweet honey-bunnies.
Chloe is, in fact, the sweetest animal in the world; she loves people; she
will (almost, for a second) sit in your lap.  She doesn't like "out,"
doesn't like to get wet.  She does like other animals & people & is a great
ambassador for ferrets because of the way she makes eye contact.  Very
engaging.  I worry about her, she is tiny, it seems like she has periods of
a couple of weeks wehre she loses weight /just wants to sleep all the time.
Ramon is rowdy & rambunctious, but has never once bit since the day I said
NO to a nibble, & he too loves human companionship.  He loves "out" - used
to escape from his former home but always returned.  He is robust & always
ready for action.

I loved the "my favorite parts" post.  My favorite part of Chloe is her
beady brown eyes.  No, its the pads of her little pawpaws.  No, it's the
softness of her fur.... As for Ramon, my favorite part is when he goes
flat. & his dramatic coloring.  And the way he smells... And of course...

Blow on them: I've disciplined cats by blowing in their faces.  Worked for
them.  My ferrets don't need discipline: theyre perfect!  (well almost)

People who weigh their ferrets: what kind of scale do you use?  where'd you
get it?  expensive?

Raisins: Neither of mine like raisins either.  Chloe won't eat anything
except kibble and ferretone.  Ramon likes many things, including pesto and
iced tea, but raisins don't do it for him...

Socializing cats & ferrets: My own opinion is, if the cat doesnt want to
hang out with ferrets, it shouldnt have to.  Many cats are not very
sociable animals, and most cats take a long time to adjust to changes -
and I'd rather respect that in a cat's nature, than force upon it contact
with weird little animals that it just doesn't feel right about.  We are
fortunate to be able to allow the ferrets free run of a room with a 1/2
door (people & cats can get in & out; ferrets & dogs can't).  The one cat
hasn't been in that room since the first day the first ferret arrived; the
second cat adores them & spends all his time in there & meows pitifully if
they are asleep when he wants company.

The eternal question: Toilet training.  When Chloe was a single ferret,
she was perfectly box trained (almost).  Came Ramon, & everything changed.
He'd never used a box, didn't have a clue, & wasnt interested, and doesn't
really like to use the same spot twice... Here's the thing.  I can
understand how to box-train a ferret by redirecting it when it starts to
go in the wrong spot.  But we *never* see him go.  He is very sneaky, or
"furtive" (get it?), or private, or just inobtrusive about it.  We tried
those puppy pads someone suggested but they weren't interested.  & of
course since he goes everywehre, now little Chloe is following his lead...
Suggestions welcome, as always.

---sharin
Chloe (wanna dance?)
& Ramon