From:
David Christopher Eichenberg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 24 Jan 1997 10:27:53 CST
Well, beastmaster 2 was on last night.  Like the original, ferrets were
featured, though the plot was not quite as...ahhh...professional?  I think
the original had the most ferret footage of any movie I've seen.

>In the world of academia, a fact is a piece of information that everyone
>can have equal access and discourse to, and in many cases, "expert opinions"
>are recognized as referance material and can be sourced.

OK, maybe in some fields (e.g.social science).  However, I work in the
biological world.  My background is in both toxicology and population
ecology.  Here we use statistical analysis to determine the likelyhood that
relationships exist.  Without this type of analysis, there are no "facts".
Opinions are just that, and you won't see them cited in the proffessional
journals.  I'm not trying to flame anybody, it's just that I'm a little
sensitive about how people percieve the amount of work required to "prove"
something vs. just spouting off a guesstimate<soapbox mode off>.