From:
Alicia K Drakiotes <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 16 Mar 1998 12:32:56 -0500
With regard to the previous posts regarding the attempted adoption theough
Sandy Ackerman's shelter I would like to state- Good Job Sandy, too bad for
the "client".  Sandy is absolutely right.  NO one that truly shelters
'wants" to be in the sheltering business.  Sheltering means going 7 days a
week for how ever long without a break in most cases.  Repairing broken or
uncared for ferrets.  Supplying medical care, surgeries, vaccinatins, and if
the ferret is healthy enough enduring the many calls and visits form those
who want to purchase "a Cheap pet".  It has happened here and I am sure in
many other shelters across the country.  Always folks are looking for a
quick, cheap deal.

The perspective that so many tend to lose sight of is:
1- the ferrets aren't fixed for free-- sure the time supplied caring comes
without renumeration, but food, litter, laundry adn veterinary care are not
free.  Often are not discounted either.

2- there are always those who enter the shelter either too incapacitated or
elderly to ever reach an adoptable status, though they may still have some
quality days ahead.  These ferrets need food, litter, supplements and care--
without ever the hope of a "fee or donation" to offset the costs.

3- The ferrets once placed in a shelter situation NEED the dedication and
assurance that they will not return there again.  In a disposable society
(and we are truly that) there are no guarantees, but any way to eliminate
the possibilities are the responsibility of the shelters and shelterers that
care for the animals -- all animals not just ferrets.

There are many more reasons, but I shant carry on.  Sandy did well for the
ferrets in her care.  For those with a mentality that cannot understand the
great responsibilities that shelter operators bear in finding suitable and
permanent placement for their wards -- it is your loss.

Keep up the good work Sandy we are all behind you ( all of us who are truly
in the sheltering spirit).

Alicia
a shelter mom at Ferret Wise

NOT to be misunderstood as an associate of SandY Ackerman's Best Little
Rodent and Ferret House - as someone tends to do!!!!