Date:
Thu, 9 Sep 1999 08:37:26 -0600
I have a funny story to tell; this is my first post, and I need to tell
you that I have been on the FML for two months, and I have learned so much
from you guys!  I have only one little sweetie, named Fang, 5 and a half,
a sable, totally loved and cared for.  We ferret-proofed out house, of
course, and basically, he never gets into much; he is very laid back,
mellow, and happy.(spoiled rotten)

My story: we have in our log cabin kitchen, an antique wood cookstove that
is not hooked up, and just part of our decorating.(There is no stove pipe
connected)...the flat surface that would be used for cooking is decorated
with various antique things, and the opening meant for a pipe is a small
oval that I had covered with cookbooks.  One night we came home late...my
son went into his bedroom, and in a short time a scream filled the house; I
ran in to see what happened, and my heart almost stopped, as this totally
black monster ran out from under the bed; I, too, screamed and ran from the
room, only to have the monster chase me!  After a few moments, we realized
it was little Fang; picked him up to find that he was one total black soot
monster ferret; immediately gave him a bath; covered him with kisses, and
tucked him into bed for the night.  What I really wanted to share with you,
is the process we discovered that he went through to get out, being unable
to climb back up the way he fell in.....once inside the stove, he wallowed
(probably not very fun since it was deep, very black old soot that remained
from the previous owner that wasn't very nice to breath in) in total
darkness... no way out; but he pursued, and found the teeny weeny damper
box that was shut tight; worked on it til it opened just enough to wiggle
out (I'm sure in great relief) and went immediately under the bed to
collapse in disgust at his smelly new attire from hell...(there was not
trace of soot anywhere, except for the little pile under the damper vent
where he had escaped his perile).

So, if you have a wood cookstove, check it out, and make sure this doesn't
happen to one of your babies, becuz I realize he could have suffered some
serious lung problems from inhaling the yukky soot if he hadn't escaped
when he did!!

Bye for now, and Bless Your Hearts, and your little ones..lizzi