From:
Bonnie Tormohlen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 18 Sep 2013 08:06:20 -0700
Totally agree with Kathy.

Earlier this year a study was released which compared some of the human
meters with the AT. Clearly the AT was the most accurate for home
monitoring of glucose in ferrets. The human monitors can be as much
as +/- 30mg/dL off, a significant number when measuring ferret glucose
levels. Not very useful if you are dealing with a borderline insulinoma
or a ferret that just missed a meal.

I've used several different human monitors in years past and been happy
with none of them. They can be somewhat useful if you have an already
insulinomic ferret and you want to see if the sugar is dropping. IMHO
however, if you are the owner of a ferret that has already received a
veterinary diagnosis of insulinoma, you should be able to see the signs
of falling glucose levels without a meter.

I would support any product with a proven record that makes veterinary
diagnosis or treatment of illness in my fuzzies more reliable.

Bonnie Tormohlen
Managing Director
Northern Arizona Ferret Alliance & Rescue, Inc