Date:
Mon, 27 Jul 2009 15:10:37 -0400
FML'ers,

This is my 11th year as a shelter. And I know how easy it is to think
only about the welfare of the ferrets, believe me. But a turn-in this
past weekend just reminds me all over again that shelters deal just as
much with the public as we do with the ferrets. And this includes the
owners.

And I am just sick about the way some shelters treat families who turn
in their ferrets.

Yes, I get calls from individuals who are tired of feeding their
ferrets. Yes, I get calls from parents of kids who aren't cleaning
the cages. Yes, I get calls from people who say, "Gosh, they are so
much trouble, they stink, they bite...etc."

But I also get calls from people who have MAJOR life changes, who have
become ill, who've lost their jobs, and who are wanting the best for
their beloved ferrets. And these people are criticized, turned away,
called names and treated like dirt. I took in 6 ferrets yesterday from
a family, not near me, where the mom had severe, critical illnesses-
she was so worried about her ferret babies- her family wanted to make
her happy- they spent over 2 months trying to re-home these ferrets.
Yes, these ferrets are all over the age of 4 years old. But they are
so well cared for- well-loved.

The husband and 12-year-old daughter brought them up yesterday. The
daughter had been giving meds and making duck soup- she couldn't stop
crying. They brought up 5 cages- I have my own, but I had them set up
their 6 ferrets in their cages, just like they had been at home- to me,
it makes sense- the ferrets are more comfortable- less change.. Same
food, same house..The wife had asked for a lock of each of her ferrets
fur- so I held, while the husband clipped. Weird? Maybe. I didn't
care, and I'm sure the ferrets didn't. The wife has already emailed
me several times, apologizing, but wanting to make sure these ferrets
are okay. I only wish there were more loving homes like this.

Two other ferrets were surrendered to me yesterday - the woman
apologized profusely, but said "Please don't stop. We need you."

I do try to talk most people out of surrendering their ferret. I try
to be a "Last Ditch" effort kinda place. If it's a ferret over 4 years
old, I tell the owner their ferret will probably never be adopted, it
will live out their life with me. But to me, any family who contacts
me deserves the benefit of the doubt - they've tried to find a
"Ferret-specific" rescue, which to me means that they love their
ferret.

This woman who had to give up her 6 ferrets is in agony - as much for
her own illness & family complications, as she had to give up her
ferrets. She did not deserve to be treated like crap just because she
had to give up her ferrets. I am now honored to be able to give her
updates on her ferrets. I hope I can make her life a little bit better,
just because I took in her well-cared for pets.

Shame on you shelters who pre-judge. That's not our job.

Marlene Blackburn
Director
Richmond Ferret Rescue League
www.richmondferretrescueleague.org