From:
"Karen E. Marsh-Lovvorn" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 10 Apr 1997 14:00:23 -0400
Hi All:

N.C. Ferrets in the Media:
TriFL members were interviewed for Raleigh News & Observer &
Durham Herald-Sun newpapers twice in March (2 different articles).  We
published 2 ferret-related stories in "The Animality" in November & April.
In December, the Durham Co.  APS Newsletter printed an article we wrote.  We
had a booth at the 3rd Annual N.C.  Renaissance Faire in Raleigh Easter
weekend, & as usual, the ferrets were a BIG hit!  Thanks for all your help,
TriFLer's.  Keep those great pictures & articles coming, & keep
volunteering.  We need YOU!

TriFL's Organizational Changes:
TriFL's undergoing some restructuring due to my stepping down as President
effective March 1.  As the club grows, I feel I can serve better by
focussing my time & energy on Rogues' Gallery (+ my human & fuzzy family) &
chairing the Activities Committee.  I'm happy to say that LOTS of great
people have stepped in to help!  Many officer & committee chair positions
have been filled (we still need volunteers for some though!) and we plan an
organizational meeting for the end of April (date TBA).  Our next
"all-member" meeting will be a picnic & Ferret Fun Day the first or second
Saturday in May.  Info.  & details will be posted in our newsletter & on the
web page (http:\www.trifl.org\) when finalized.

"TriFL is a non-profit organization whose purpose is to promote the welfare
of the domesticated ferret, prevent cruelty to ferrets, and to provide
information and education to the public and current ferret owners."
Membership is open to anyone with an interest in ferrets and includes a
membership card & monthly newsletter..  Annual dues are $15/year per
household.

Rogues' Gallery is moving!
Since September we've been busy making repairs from Hurricane Fran and
getting our house ready for sale, & last weekend we accepted an offer for
it.  SO, at the end of May we'll move to temporary quarters until our new
home is built, and plan to reopen a "new & improved" Rogues' Gallery this
Fall.  In the meantime, we continue to act as an info./referral service, &
emergency contact for ferrets.  Our new address & phone number will be
posted on the web page in May.

Answers/Comments:

Xena the cow-killer & Loki the Birk-eater:
I've been THERE!  Since we're moving out to the country, my husband decided
I needed cow slippers so he got me some for Christmas.  Until I got the
brilliant idea of putting them on the top shelf of my closet, it was an
ongoing battle to keep Gurgey & Ginger from stealing them & hiding them in
"interesting" places!  Those two would go to ANY lengths to get at my cows!
Puka & Samantha are the cork-lovers in our house.  And it's not just sandals
& shoes, either - it's ANY cork!  Wine-bottle corks are the most fun, since
they're small & really fun to roll under things.  We haven't had any
problems from it yet, but worry about blockages, so the "culprits" get a
dose of Petromalt & extra observation for a day or 2 if a "Great Cork Caper"
is uncovered!

"Alpha Chi" wants to know if MF kills jills at 3 or 4 years of age:
I don't know what they do with ALL their "retired" breeders, but I know that
SOME of them go to our (and probably other) veterinary schools so students
can learn how to spay, neuter, descent, and vaccinate ferrets.  At N.C.
State Veterinary School in Raleigh, the ferrets are well treated, and once
their surgeries & vaccinations are done, they're put up for adoption to
approved homes.  (In fact, TriFL helped them place a number of retired MF
breeders last month).  I urge any ferret clubs or shelters that are near
veterinary schools to work out similar arrangements.  It's a win-win
situation for the ferrets, & promotes a lot of goodwill with the local vet
school, vets & community!

Well, enough from me!   Happy Ferreting!

Karen & The Gang (Lao Bear & Jaslow - head-to-head in the "world's
cutest ferret" competition; Gurgey & Ginger - the cow killers; Puka &
Samantha - Queens of Cork)