From:
Katherine Kuckens <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 21 Aug 1996 23:52:34 -0400
I visited a pet store today while on vacation - just looking for Mazuri.
They had a ferret in a big old cage, and she was asleep so I couldn't see
her well.  But the person working there told me she really needed a home.
She said the ferret was supposed to be "spayed but looked like it was in
heat." Gosh, I said, that ferret is probably in trouble and should see a vet
IMMEDIATELY.  On closer look I could just see that she was balding on the
back of the neck and who knows what else.  I begged the store to take her to
a vet but they said the ferret had been just dumped there and there was
nothing they could do.  Looked like adrenal to me.  The person who dumped
her just said something about her being about four years old.  The employee
said she was really a sweet, nice ferret.  She was a silver.  Oh, my heart
ached - I was with my whole family in a crowded car, no carrier, and 200
miles from home.  I felt bad all the way home.  I just got home and am now
writing - near midnight - to see if there's something to be done.

Is there anyone in PA who can help?  I think there is ferret rescue near
Philadelphia maybe?  Please don't anyone call up and hassle the store - they
were as concerned and sorry as they could be, but the ferret has been just
left there and they were hoping someone would come along and know what to
do.  Oh, I am sorry I did not try to take her with me.  Imagine someone who
must have owned her for something like four years and then when she got
sick, just abandoned her at a pet store.  The store is at least feeding and
caring for her and they were very upset about it but, I think, not
knowledgeable about ferrets.  They didn't know about adrenal disease, etc.
I told the lady that the ferret was going to die without help and she was
obviously upset.

So please - if anyone knows what to do - it's in the Poconos - on Rte 209,
in East Stroudsburg, close to Marshalls Creek.  The store is "For Pet Lovers
Only," Strawberry Fields Plaza, 717-421-2862.  PLEASE don't hassle or
criticize the store people - it's not their fault - they're trying to help
in their own sad way.  Please don't flame me either - we just barely made
the mortgage this month and there's no way I could have paid for the
surgery.  I feel bad enough already.

And if anyone does find a way to rescue her, could you just let me know.  I
don't think I'm gonna sleep well tonight, or for a while.

Kat