From:
Lisette Lumsden <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 21 Nov 2004 12:02:12 EST
For Heather and others in the same boat with ferrets that run away from
humans:

I have one of those ferrets.  Her name is Coco.  My ferrets are free
roam, although they are in a cage now while my floors dry after being
scrubbed.  But I found it best to let Coco have a cage for a few months
at first.

That way...she could not hide on me in the morning and at night.  I could
gather her up, and hold her, and kiss her, and talk to her.  She has been
a biter, and I am at least her fourth home.  She would run and hide after
I set her down just like your ferret Heather, SO....

I have blankets, bubble wrap, and a tube going into the tub.  I closed
the door and played with Coco in this enclosed area.  She cannot escape.

Others scratched at the door, and I hauled them in.  If you interact
close up and personal...and are gentle and talk in soothing warm
tones...while gently throwing your fert out of a plastic bag onto the
piles of soft bouncy towels, blankets and bubble wrap...your ferret
will learn to interact with YOU.

I have a box I stuff everything into when we are done playing that fits
under the end table.  And I now have a ferret who still has to be enticed
at times to play..

but the improvement is remarkable.  In fact, she now nips my feet in the
mornings so that I will pick her up...oh not to be loved on.  She wants
to snoop on the counters.

Do not give up on your babies.  You just need a small room where the
ferret cannot hide from you, some cool stuff to play with, and time to
play with your companion..It is lots of fun, and is great for reducing
stress, and producing smiles.

You have not mentioned any other problems, so I am assuming that there
are none.  Good thing you are smarter than the ferrets.  You will think
of all kinds of creative games to play in a small enclosed area that will
delight your ferrets.