Date:
Thu, 19 Aug 1999 20:22:57 GMT
wow, getting two FMLs in a row made me talkative...

Jodie wrote:
>Without a doubt, Feline Pine is the best I've found.  It doesn't stink or
>stick to their furry little butts.  Nor does it stick to their feet and get
>stuck all over the carpet.  If they dig it out, it's real easy to vaccuum.
>It costs a bit, but you only use a tiny amount in the pan.  The directions
>say to use an inch.  I don't even need that much.  Great stuff!  I've heard
>others recommend wood pellets, but I don't know where to get >that and I
>heard it draws flies.

I have used both Feline Pine and wood stove pellets, and as far as I can
tell there's very little difference between the two-- they look, smell, and
behave the same.  I have not observed the pellets to draw flies.  Wood
stove pellets are, at least in the Boston area, $3.50 to $4.50 for a 40 lb
bag-- a heck of a lot cheaper than Feline Pine.  You can get them at big
hardware stores like Home Depot, or most places that sell wood-burning
stoves, since I guess the pellet stoves have become pretty popular.  The
only drawback that I can think of is that they can be hard to find over the
summer months.  Hope this was helpful.

Tequita wrote:
>I agonized over whether to do surgery or not.  Sometimes I think it's
>better to leave well enough alone.  Maybe she would still be alive if I'd
>not disturbed her.  It's a lot of stress to go through anesthesia and
>surgery - especially for an older ferret.  At least she wouldn't have been
>stressed out and in pain.  She showed no signs of pain before the surgery.
>Her spleen was obviously enlarged, that's why I went with the surgery. It's
>soooo hard to know what to do.  I feel very guilty.

I definitely sympathize, because I'm going some similar feelings right now.
Cully isn't really perking back up after his surgery-- I know it's only
been a week, but he's lost a lot of weight and he's only eating if I
spoonfeed him (although he eats enthusiastically then).  I've really been
weighing in my mind whether I should have put him through the adrenal
surgery or not, but ultimately, I think that I did what I believed was
right for him-- get rid of the adrenal before it got worse, and find out
what else is going on inside him.  And it was also what my vet felt was
right, and I trust her judgement.  I feel terrible when I look at him
sleeping, hip bones sticking out, but I would still make the same decision.
You have my sympathy and empathy

Julianna wrote:
>I have a unequivocally infallible unscientific <g> method of determining if
>a ferret is deaf.  I have a sealed can w/a hand-full of pennies in it.  I
>allow the ferrets to go about their business & when everyone is preoccupied
>I give the can a good shake.  If the ferret doesn't jump - it's deaf.

That sounds like a great method-- I've been giggling to myself every time
somebody mentions the vacuum cleaner test, because the vacuum cleaner is
one of the few things that can wake up my deaf girl Amelia.  We have wooden
floors, and I think she feels the vibrations of the motor.  She comes out
and attacks it fiercely-- since she can't hear it, she's not scared of it.
Cully usually hides from it.

Joy wrote about her Canadian ferret-- Amelia is also a Canadian ferret from
Hagen, and nip training her was an adventure.  I don't know if it has
anything to do with Hagen bloodlines, but she does not go limp when
scruffed, and takes it as a personal insult.  I found for training her that
timeouts and Bitter Apple worked better than any form of physical
discipline, because she would always want to take anything physical one
notch higher than I was prepared to go.  Giving her treats when I picked
her up didn't hurt either ;-)

best wishes to everyone out there,
Regina

Regina Harrison
http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Lofts/1083 -somewhat messed up as I rennovate
Electra the Brujah's page:
http://www.geocities.com/TimesSquare/Labyrinth/8096

Wrapped in my mongrel wings, I nearly freeze
In the howlin wind and drivin rain
All the trash blowin round 'n' round