Date:
Wed, 7 Nov 2007 09:33:05 -0400
Hello Deb,

I have used Colloidal Silver for myself as well as my various animal
companions over the years. It can be an effective antibiotic and was
used before the discovery of penicillin. However, it does not sound
like this would be useful in your case, since an antibiotic is not
what you are likely seeking.

If you are open to alternative/complementary medicine I would highly
recommend homeopathy. I have used it in conjunction with conventional
veterinary care for over 20 years with my various animal companions
with wonderful results. I was convinced completely, when 10 years ago
my cat went into renal failure, was blind and the emergency clinic was
preparing to euthanize him. I grabbed him, catheter and all and rushed
him to a homeopathic vet. Within 24 hours his sight was restored,
kidney function fine, essentially he was normal .... not okay.....not
merely recovering.... but normal! Mishoux celebrated his 15th birthday
this year and is still enjoying a good quality of life. His feline
buddy regularly brings him treats of freshly caught field mice.

You mention your little one has a form of enteritis. My 4 year-old has
been diagnosed with Eosinophilic Granulomatous (EGE), confirmed with
biopsies - a rare and difficult disease to treat in ferrets, which
essentially destroys the gastrointestinal tract, liver and lungs. She
has it in her intestinal tract and liver. She is responding wonderfully
to homeopathic remedies for her condition and other than her initial
exploratory surgery to confirm the diagnosis has not been on any other
kinds of veterinary medications. I also switched her food to Innova EVO
Ferret, which all four of mine now eat. She's stable, not showing any
pain symptoms, nor any of the horrid smelly, mucousy-blob stools she
had before she was put on the homeopathic/diet regimen.

You can read more about this form of treatment by going to the The
Academy of Veterinary Homeopathy website at:
http://www.theavh.org/index.php

If you want to find a homeopathic veterinarian near you, the link in
the left column 'Referrals' is useful.

I work with both my conventional veterinarian and a homeopathic
veterinarian. They are aware that I use both and are respectful of
each other's expertise.

I encourage people every opportunity I can to at least explore the
benefits of homeopathy before dismissing it. And I stress it should
be used in conjunction with conventional veterinary care and not as
a substitute.

Tressie A. Dutchyn, MA
ID PhD student, Dalhousie University

Research Associate
Atlantic Interdisciplinary Research Network for Social & Behavioral
Issues Hepatitis C & HIV/AIDS
Department of Community Health & Epidemiology
Faculty of Medicine
Dalhousie University