Date:
Sun, 27 Nov 2005 04:46:14 -0700
Hi everyone,

Sorry, this will be a long post, but I really need advice.  I usually am
one of the "Lurkers", but because my little old guy (8 yrs. we think)
has been diagnosed with a Gastric Ulcer.  He's had this before a couple
of times, this time he's been crying before, during and after he eats.
His poops were mucusy yellow jelly-like (sorry for the gross
description), and now they are more like a thick honey and almost black
in color--definitely NOT like before.  He was on Prednisone, something
for his thyroid (because he's gained almost a pound of weight), and
usually we'd give him Pepto, Kaopectate (old kind), baby drops for gas,
or Mylanta--all for his tummy.  He had been making "grumbling sounds"
whenever we'd medicate him or interrupted his activity--he is still
active enough with all this, playing in sacks which he dearly loves to
do, waddles around, climbs into the peanut (cornstarch) play box and all.
He sleeps by himself, because he can't get up or down to eat & go potty
in the other kennel with the other 3 kids.  He misses them & will sleep
with whomever when they are out.  Now, he's on Prednisolone (hoping that
helps some) instead of the Prednosone, gets Metronydazole (sp?), and we
give him a compounded version of Sucrafate that his Vet gives him (Dr.
Bock calls it Gastrophate).  That is supposed to help with his digesting
his food--not cause more pain.

A few minutes ago, I woke him to give him the Gastrophate and after
walking around alittle, drinking some water, he passed that icky blackish
goo--crying.  I'm afraid his ulcer has perforated his stomach.  We have
been giving him the Gastrophate about 10 min.  before his "duck soup" (as
per Dr. Bruce Williams article in a Ferrets Magazine).  Since we were
directed to feed him about every 2 hours, we give the Gastrophate about
every 2 hours.  Could that or the Prednisolone, etc.  be making his ulcer
worse, by causing more stress when given to him?  I'm sorry to say I fell
asleep and he hasn't eaten for several hours--no interest on his part, he
just sleeps until I get him up or he needs to poop.  (I'm not even sure
if he's been peeing--we have carpet and wet spots all over where we've
had to clean up his messes.) I know it is supposed to take at least a
couple of days, Dr. Bock says, before things will get better.  I really
don't mind the all night feedings and all.  I'm just so worried.  Can
someone please advise.  Thank you for taking the time to read my post
and for any help you can give.

My heart and prayers go out to all who have sick or angeled babies, for
the little ones who were caught in the Hurricanes, and for all the
Shelter Moms & Dads, Volunteers and others who give their all to help in
the day to day grind, or the crises and rescues.  And, of course to BIG
who keeps our list family running smoothly and to the wonderful people
here who care so much for all our babies.  Not to forget those who watch
over the Bridge.  God Bless you all,.