From:
THOMAS COLE <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 1 Nov 2009 10:53:56 -0700
Our most recent/ongoing experience with H1N1:

Coughing and sneezing everywhere, some were so violent, they were
amazing in their intensity, and scary. Everyone had trouble breathing
out their little noses. Some chose to sleep in the tote of ping pong
balls for coolness, others piled up in threes and fours in hammies and
sleep boxes to create mini heaters because of fevers. No one was moving
around very much at all...

To start at the beginning.....my oldest child came home sick. Please
stay completely away from the ferrets I told him. Then my youngest
child got sick. Please, please, stay away from the ferrets, I told
him, too. They tried, but like most young men their age, cough, cough,
sneeze, sneeze, cover what? hand washing, why? Hubby was next, right
along with half a dozen of the business in various stages, then the
other half right behind within a day or two. So there I was with 2
grown children, a husband and 12 ferrets with the flu.

Total misery from day one. Out came the humidifier, the drop or two of
Ferret Rx on all of their bedding, and in the humidifier. Some got a
smear on their noses once or twice. For some of the worst cases, a
little bit of benadryl to help clear some of the congestion. Soup for
everyone every day, extra water sources too. (Mine hate pedialyte, so
that option was in reserve) Check for dehydration often, check each
one to make sure it hadn't progressed into their chests. Watch for
secondary infections. The last ones to succumb were the last to recover
of course, but recovering they all are. Some concern me more than
others, the ones that have other issues to start with anyway. Most
are now their usual bouncy selves now, but still have the occasional
sneezing fit.

A couple of days into this ordeal, it was my turn. Went to the doctor
who said we had H1N1, gave me and hubby some medicine to prevent
pneumonia and deal with symptoms. Hubby was still recovering, and I was
out of commission for a day or two with fever, etc.. I am thankful for
my husband, he took care of them all while I lay in bed shivering, even
though he wasn't up to 100% then either.

H1N1 has been pretty prevalent in my area. Most cases these days are
diagnosed as that. I know from where I work and now from personal
experience that this stuff is extremely contagious, to people AND
ferrets. I think we were really lucky that we took action immediately
at the first signs and have been able to circumvent the dehydration
and secondary infections. The Benedryl and the Ferret Rx stuff (Ferret
Rx is from MF - I bought it on a whim several months ago at a pet
store, but never used it) really seemed to help too. I'm just glad
it's almost over. In all, close to 2 weeks for it to run the worst of
its course.

Good luck to anyone who ends up going through this. For all of us, it
has been a Halloween we won't forget, and hope never to repeat.

Bonnie Cole and the Colbiz