From:
Alayne Avery <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 27 May 2010 22:17:02 -0700
To be honest, this isn't my first rodeo. I've worked on litter box
training many ferrets before. I'm apparently more stubborn and wise
than they are, cuz all the ones I've tried to train I've eventually
trained. But here I go again.

Within the last month, I've adopted 1 male that is almost 10 months old
and lived most of his life at a pet store and 2 males that are 3 months
old. When I change the litter box, the 10 mo old always goes to check
it out, then walks up the ramp and poops and pees from the corner on
the second floor. He was doing this in the corner on side opposite of
litter pan until I moved the food dish, now his aim is over the litter
box at least. So with the addition of the two babies, I needed a new
litter pan. While getting ready to set it up, I noticed there were
helpful hints on litter training your ferrets. According to the hints,
ferrets do not like to do their pottying in same place as their food,
water or bedding. Great idea, I think. So I have water bottle in one
corner, and two food bowls that attach to the wires of the cage in two
other corners and the litter pan in the 4th corner. This should be
great, I half heartedly think. So!

Bugsy, one of the babies, goes into the cage, checks out the new "toy"
you and I would call a litter box. He tries to flip it upside down but
it is attached to the cage. Can almost hear him sigh as he lays down
for a nap in the litter box. I walk over and marvel at Bugsy in his new
"bed". And then, as if it to say "Who says ferrets don't poo and pee
where their food is?" Bugsy get up out of his new bed, backs into a
corner with a food dish and proceeds to do his business in that corner
and UNDER the food dish. Figures. Wonder what he'll think when I put
poopy in his new bed. Prolly no more kisses for me for awhile.

Goodnight all,
Alayne, Sierra, Ziggy, Emmett and Bugsy