From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 18 Jan 2006 11:37:37 -0500
FYI:
I do not breed ferrets.

There seemed to be an assumption that I do since I discussed being
careful about genetic problems.  Instead, I have an educational
background with a large amount of classical genetics, and Steve and
I have a history of taking in ferrets with malformations.

BTW, a fun place to learn about some genetic considerations for
ferrets is
<http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Ferret-Genetics/>

Everyone should read about possible common health problems BEFORE they
occur when possible, and if a ferret has neural crest genetic variant
markings then it should be realized that there are increased RATES of
certain illnesses (cardiomyopathy, esp.  the harder to find hypertrophic
type, malignancies, deafness, mandibular malformations, innervation
problems esp.  of the intestine, etc.) with some of the causes of neural
crest variants in mammals and some other things are under study because
they too may be affected, including several urinary tract conditions.
So, for blazes, panda heads, ferrets with incomplete, non-bilateral, or
unevenly margined mitts or bibs, or extraneous white body spotting do
save more for medical care and start the older age 6 month exams and
testing at a younger age.  (There may be melanistic (extraneous dark
spotting) in some overly bred mustelids -- going from what one European
farm had on a website -- but that is very rare at this poiint.)

Hope that I made enough sense; I appear to be finishing up a bug with
high fevers so I am not necessarily saying things well at all.  If
questions remain, please, DO go to the F-G site mentioned above.

-- Sukie (not a vet)
Ferret Health List co-moderator
FHL Archives fan
http://ferrethealth.org/archive/