From:
Joanne Ruffner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 23 Jan 2003 10:00:20 -0700
We run a shelter here called Ferret Corner Shelter.  We are a small
shelter so I am sure that how we do things will differ from the larger
shelters.  We run the shelter right from our home - inside of our home.

We love to have people visit us and it is a requirement for adoption.
They must come to our house/shelter and visit with the ferrets and us for
at least an hour.  We show them all of the shelter kids and some of ours.
Why?  Simple, it lets people see the different personalities in ferrets
and the different colors and shapes.

Once a person has decided that they want to adopt a ferret or two we do
the "interest" form and put the ferret on "hold".  We arrange a date and
time to take the ferret to their house.  This allows us time to ensure
that we have all the paperwork ready for the adoption and that they have
all of the supplies ready.  We also feel that taking the ferret to the
new home helps both the ferret and us.  Someone can come into the shelter
and appear to be WONDERFUL, but take the ferret to their home and you
could change your mind about the safety of the ferret.

Another thing that we require is that they have the Ferrets For Dummies
book.  It is a requirement for us.  Does it hurt the adoptions?  So far
it hasn't.  We have just decided that it is a great book and a MUST read.
We actually had an adoption recently and they got the book the night
before we delivered the ferrets, she was up reading all night about
ferrets.  It was great and she learned A LOT.  (we also do another home
visit after 30 days)

I would like to comment on something's that Cathy said (no, not flaming
you).  Just want to point out some things with OUR shelter.

>When comparing sanctuaries to shelters, one needs to realize that a
>shelter is a stop along the way, so most shelters aren`t set up for
>long-term care--i.e. the space they get to run & play in isn`t usually
>very large.

I know you are talking about another shelter, but let me just say that
not all shelters are like this.  Are we set up for long term care?  No,
not really so you are right about that.  Most shelters probably are not.
Now, the most we have had in the shelter was 13.  Plus we have 7 of our
own.  So that makes 20 ferrets in the house.  We have our house divided
by a half door in the hallway.  (The back half get the run of two
bedrooms, bathroom and hallway.  The front half has the living, dining
and kitchen.) This way we can have 2 shifts out at once.  We were running
6 shifts for about 4 months.  This meant, getting up early and staying up
late.  We have been lucky during this time because Shawn, my other half,
has been home.  The ferrets get anywhere from 4-8 hours a day out.  It
may be 2 hours at a time, but they get out.  I don't like putting them up
if they are still awake.  So, yes, I spend a lot of time up until 1 am.

>The cages, by necessity, are not large, in most shelters--and
>short-term, it`s OK--but long-term, they need more space!!!

We have 4 4-story SuperPet Cages (with the plastic levels).  These can be
divided to 2 story cages if and when needed.  We only have 1 ferret that
is in a single level cage, that is our permanent resident Buster who has
insulinoma and who is really sick right now.  Our cages are set up in the
living room and the bedrooms.  We interact with all of them as if they
were our own...why?  Well because to me they are.  As soon as they come
in my home they are my babies and my responsibility.  Each time I adopt
one out it hurts but this is what I "signed up to do" so I do it and go
on.  I believe that having the cages large and the free time plenty is
what ferrets need most when coming to a shelter.  They need to know that
someone loves them even if their previous owner didn't.  It is a scary
time for them and it is the shelter operators job to make them know that
they ARE special.  That is how they thrive and go on.  (IMO)

>Also, most shelter ferts are housed alone, unless they come in =
>together--(correct me, if I`m wrong here!)--

Correcting this then :-)  I have been told NOT to house them together,
but you know what?  I do.  Why?  Because as I said before, they NEED to
be loved and happy.  If snuggling and playing with another ferret makes
them happy while they are here then GREAT!  Have we had problems with
them bonding while they are here?  Nope, not yet.  We have some ferrets
that cannot and will not play with others so they have their own play
times.  But they all do get to decide.

The shelter kids are not treated any differently than our own.  I guess
I look at this as if I were a foster home for human kids.  The ferrets
are my kids...whether it be for a short time or forever.  We have been
blessed to be able to run the shelter and help them.  We have also been
blessed to have a SMALL shelter.  We are truly blessed.

To all that run sanctuaries, ADV shelters and shelters.... thank you for
all that you do every day.

To those that are ferret parents... thank you for taking them into your
homes and your hearts.  Whether you bought them at the store, adopted
them from a shelter or took them in from places unknown.  Because of you,
they have a place to call home.

Joanne Ruffner
Ferret Corner Shelter
www.geocities.com/ferretcorneraz