From:
Little Dudes Ferret Ranch <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 12 Sep 2007 15:59:58 -0700
Since I have been caring for just the sick and elderly, I have had an
opportunity to observe some behaviors, however subtle, that I would
like to share and get opinions on.

Most of the ferrets when they are still in the early stage of
their disease process and feeling fairly well, they seem (all are
individually different) to be their normal selves, being aware of their
surroundings, wanting attention, responding to being picked up, spoken
to, played with, and so on.

As it progresses, of course they show the typical signs of not feeling
as good. Aside from that, I've noticed that they are squirmier when
being held and they seem to be less aware of their surroundings as
if somewhat...distant or distracted. They run around as if they have
somewhere to go but in truth, it's aimless wandering until they tire
out or find an acceptable place to be. The one example that comes to
mind is a naked boy found wandering in someone's yard. I had him for a
few months and that's all he did was wander from one end of the house
to the other until he couldn't go any longer. When he died, his body
was riddled with cancer and the vet was astounded that he had lived
to this point.

Since then, I have had many ferrets do the aimless wandering beginning
weeks to months before their death. I wish I could afford necropsies
on all so I can take that experience and knowledge to the next one but
it's not realistic so I have to make choices. Are there other shelters
who allow their ferrets to free roam? I'm guessing this is really the
only way to know about the "wandering" behavior or else volunteers
would have to find it worthy of discussing with each other. Usually the
ferrets here are in a room with their toys, beds, cages, hammocks and
such. But the the "terminals" I'll coin them, are out into the main
part of the house where they can wander and pretty much do whatever
makes them happy until they quietly pass away in their sleep or need
to be put down. This is how I've been able to notice the aimless
wandering.

So my concern really is, even though they are still eating, alert,
walking and not showing "typical" signs of pain, could whatever the
disease process is - whether insulinoma, adrenal, lymphoma and on and
on, could they be so uncomfortable, that they can't be still? They are
all being medically treated for their diseases and seen by the vet as
needed. Could the medication cause side effects to the point of this
type of discomfort? The last thing I would ever want to do is prolong
their suffering.

Appreciate your thoughts.