From:
"Matthew T. Carlton" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 23 Jul 1995 17:49:58 -0600
    Kurt,
    Don't be so quick to discount what you may have seen.  I recently took
my two little ones (and my girl friend) to Florida to meet my mom.  We drove
in my car, and they had a great time attacking my feet and galloping around
on the seats, and everything was fine until we got there.
    I was really tired after driving for about 20 hours, and anxious to get
to my mom's house and get some rest.  Somehow, my CD case fell on Suzie, my
first love, and killed her.  I didn't find out until about 15 minutes later
when I arrived at my mother's house -- kind of ruined the entire trip.  I
cried for hours and and am still not over her loss.  She lived with me in
the little PFZ (pet free zone) called my dorm, and loved to ride around
inside my shirt, being quiet and still as she could -- like she knew the
danger, until we got outside.
    She went everywhere with me -- to the store, to restaurants, to the park
(where she loved to chase me and explore the grass and children), or
wherever I went.  I only had one complaint about her, and that was from an
obviously prejudiced woman who was more upset that her daughter thought
Suzie was the cutest thing in the world, more than anything else.  Things
area little more laid back in New Mexico, I guess, and also, being a
vampire-type, I usually only took her out at night, when there were fewer
people.
    And when I finally would go to sleep, she always slept with me, cuddled
in my arms, or down by my feet, or draped over my neck.  I lived in constant
fear of rolling on her, but it never happened, thank God.
    Anyway, I was utterly crushed by her death, and her little 'brother',
Buddy, seemed at a loss, though he had enough enjoyment exploring my mom's
house.  In any case, about three nights after she left us, my girlfriend
woke up and heard Buddy galloping around the room like he used to when he
and Suzy would play -- it was dark in the room, but she told me that after a
moment, she could swear she heard TWO sets of little scampering feet -- and
all the cats were outside, and terrified of the little silver puffball
anyway.
    She went back to sleep only to wake up a while later with the feeling of
a little one sleeping at the foot of the bed.  Just that little weight on
the blanket I'm sure you all know well.  The only thing was that Buddy was
already snuggled up on the pillow beside her.
    Then, on the drive back, I had three times when I felt whiskers sniffing
at my ankles while i was driving.  The first time, I thought it was buddy
until I noticed he was sleeping in my gf's lap.  I told her what happened
and she told me about the night I just described.  Both times after that, I
tried to locate Buddy the moment I felt the whiskers, and both times, he was
in another part of the car, and could not have been responsible, fast as he
may be.
    Sorry to ramble, but I really think Suzie was with me for a while after
she died, and wherever she is, I hpe she knows she is always welcome with
me, in any form she may take.  I will always love her.