From:
Nancy Farlow <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 18 Jun 1997 00:10:24 -0500
I've recently been taking one of our three out with me (on a leash) when I
run to the video store, convenience store, lumber yard, whatever.  Most
people either ignore (or don't notice) the fact that I'm carrying a small
furry animal on my shoulder, or are totally enchanted!  I used to avoid
taking them out in public out of fear of an incident (living in NJ, you
never know...).  The whole Kodo ordeal has got me so upset and frustrated,
however, that I've decided I have to do my part to edducate the public about
how sweet and loving ferrets really are.  I really think that's the only way
to put an end to these idiotic incidents perpetrated out of total ignorance!
Anyway, I took our girl to the lumber yard yesterday and met a very nice man
there who couldn't wait to tell his wife he'd seen a real, live ferret!  "I
heard they bite," he said, innocently.  He had pet cats, so I showed him her
teeth "See, same as cats' teeth," I said.  Then she licked my hand.  He
smiled.  Then I took her to Motor Vehicles and a young child there got the
biggest kick out of her!  I still don't let (most) people touch my ferrets,
though... especially kids (sad, but I'm still leary).

BTW, I discovered an alternative to the Pet Taxi for taking a fert with you
in the car.  Put your ferret's harness and leash on, put him/her on the
passenger seat of your car, fasten the seat belt, then tie the leash to the
shoulder harness so it's short enough that the fert can't roam beyond the
edge of the seat (if you tie it to the lap belt, the ferret can get between
the seat and the car door).  They get the idea after a few minutes, and
realize they can move around on the seat but no further.  Our three guys all
love a ride in the car.

Nancy <[log in to unmask]>