From:
Troy Lynn Eckart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 8 Jul 1998 09:45:18 -0500
From a layperson who has dealt with this problem -
E-coli is a natural occuring bacteria that resides within us.  It doesn't
cause a problem until the balance of good bacteria and bad bacteria becomes
unbalanced and the bad bacteria becomes overgrown.  E-coli also can occur
from the incorrect handling of meat.  When the E-coli dies it secretes a
toxic substance so we try to keep it in check by using the natural good
bacteria.

We've had a couple bad bacteria flare-ups in our group after ECE.  To
balance out the good bacteria we add acidophilus to our ferrets diet.  One
of the best sources of good bacteria is Buttermilk (YUCK).  I add a few
drops to each recipe serving for the ferrets needing it or I add it
directly to our recipe for all.  You can also use Yogurt with active
cultures or other good flora products such as acidophilus liquid or powder.
Pet Authority makes a liquid product for cats that includes acidophilus in
the ingredients.  Several pet supply catalogs offer products to help
restore good bacteria as well (Omaha Vaccine, Jeffers, Fosters and Smith,
etc.).  Local health food stores should also carry many good bacteria
products - just ask the clerk for assistance.

We've managed E-coli and Clostridium this way and all are doing well. We
occassionally have fecal samples tested. Our last fecal sample was clean.

Hope this is helpful.  Hugs to all. tle